About the event
After a successful first edition in Bangalore, ReactFoo travels to Pune. ReactFoo Pune will focus on the following topics:
- Success and failure stories of implementing React and React Native for your use-case.
- Lessons learned in shifting codebase from older frameworks to React.
- Comparative advantages of React and other JS frameworks.
ReactFoo Pune is an event for practitioners, by practitioners.
We invite developers and architects from large and small organizations to share their stories and insights with the community.
ReactFoo Pune is a two-day event with:
Hands-on workshops on 19 January. Single track of talks and Birds of a Feather (BOF) sessions on 20 January.
30-40 participants will be admitted to each workshop. Workshop tickets have to be purchased separately. Workshops will be announced shortly.
Who should attend
- JS engineers from enterprises.
- JS engineers from startups.
- Cross-platform mobile developers.
Why you should attend?
- To learn from and network with peers from the industry.
- To gain insights from case studies of practical implementation, and evaluate ReactJS and React Native for your work.
- To program better with React and React Native.
Proposals will be shortlisted and reviewed by an editorial team consisting of practitioners from the community. Make sure your abstract contains the following information:
- Key insights you will present, or takeaways for the audience.
- Overall flow of the content.
You must submit links to videos of talks you have delivered in the past, or record and upload a two-min self-recorded video explaining what your talk is about, and why is it relevant for this event.
Also consider submitting links to the following along with your proposal:
- A detailed outline, or
- Mindmap, explaining the structure of the talk, or
- Draft slides.
Honorarium for selected speakers; travel grants
Selected speakers and workshop instructors will receive an honorarium of Rs. 3,000 each, at the end of their talk. Confirmed speakers and instructors also get a pass to the conference. We do not provide free passes for speakers’ colleagues and spouses.
Owing to a tight budget, we will not be able to offer travel grants or accommodation for this event.
ReactFoo Pune conference – 19 January, 2018.
ReactFoo Pune hands-on workshops – 20 January, 2018.
Last date for submissions - 7 December, 2017.
For more information about speaking, ReactFoo, sponsorships, tickets, or any other information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 7676332020.
Proposals that will be evaluated will focus on personal experiences with React from a first person perspective. We’re looking for talks that will expand on reasons for decisions made to implement React, stumbling points before and after having done so, successes or failure faced with React, etc. Instructional talks exploring new features and how-to talks are not going to be a part of this edition of the conference.
Building custom renderers with React
React has enabled us to write complex UIs with a great declarative API. Under the hood, React’s reconciler optimizes by diffing the old and new tree, usually known as virtual DOM diffing. The latest version of React uses a Fiber architecture to implement the reconciler. The reconciler backs custom renderers like React DOM and React Native to target various platforms. In this talk we’ll implement a custom renderer with react-reconciler. We’ll also take a brief look at various custom renderers in the wild to have an idea of what can be acheived.
The talk will focus on the following key points
- What is a custom renderer
- Why should you build one
- What is “fiber”
- What is “reconciliation”
- How to build a custom renderer with react-reconciler
- Integration with React devtools
- More resources on Fiber and custom renderers
Satyajit Sahoo is a frontend developer at Callstack, and a core contributor to React Native. He is skilled in building React and React Native apps and has a good understanding of the internals.
- Building Expo Snack (React Native EU 2017) Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk45O6AygH8
- Building Expo Snack (React Native EU 2017) Slides - https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1D5rYHNIBKiLdD0sSrIM3v9KCaScxaC4MwvBi4seCQV4