TwitterGetsFitter - How community can boost your fitness journey
In November 2016, I tweeted to my followers, looking for workout buddies to keep me motivated. Within hours, I had dozens. Today, over a hundred. What started as a rather selfish quest for fitness motivation has turned into India’s first online workout buddy system.
During the course of my talk, I hope to highlight the importance of fitness itself, as well as the power of community. Another important subject I shall discuss is body image and body positivity.
Like the movement, there are no real barriers to whom the audience for the talk should be. I believe it would be relevant to most adults, more so to those who have struggled with fitness, and whose body image issues may have triggered emotional issues and depression.
- My own struggle with weight and depression
- The tweet that started the movement
- How TwitterGetsFitter grew
- The TwitterGetsFitter community, and how we support each other
- How community can aid your fitness goals
- How fitness can impact your mental and emotional health
Chitra is the creator of the TwitterGetsFitter movement. She is also a professional belly dance instructor and fitness coach, and has personally been through a journey of bad body image, ill health, and a struggle to regain fitness.