Closing JRACLOUD-68845 - Jira’s journey towards delightful web performance
These are the areas I plan to touch on:
- Overview of Jira’s journey towards a modern, React-based tech stack: Timeline - where did we start, where are we now; from lipsticking, to an inside-out model, to an outside-in model.
- A primer on web performance at Atlassian: Vertical vs. horizontal scaling; TTR vs. TTI; P50, P90, APDEX.
- Server Side Rendering (SSR): How it works and why it works; the security implications of SSR; Atlassian’s patented SSR architecture.
- Single Page Application (SPA) architectures: Full page load vs. SPA transitions; the “network effect” of an SPA and its implications; how to integrate legacy experiences into a fundamentally modern SPA.
- Education and alignment: How can independent teams and engineers sustainably use a shared, limited resource such as the browser?
- Up next: What are the upcoming trends and technologies that Atlassian is looking into?
Hannes is the engineering manager responsible for Jira’s frontend platform, which provides the build and deployment infrastructure, dev tooling, and application architecture for Jira’s new, React-based UI. Today, the frontend platform powers a codebase of more than 1M LoC, with 400 individual contributors in total, and 200 contributors every month.