Access All Areas
Accessibility is about ensuring that the products we build are able to be used by as wide an audience as possible. While the ARIA specification might be daunting, building accessible interface elements isn’t as difficult as it may seem.
Chris Lienert will take you through his experience building a responsive UI library sharing the failures and successes along the way.
- Ground rules
- Hard bits
With apologies: this is rather brief at the moment since I’m still in the relatively early stages of assembling this talk.
I’ve spent the last 12 months buildng a UI library ensuring every component is accessible. The ARIA specification has it’s limitations and sharing my knowledge of the practical implications will hopefully help other developers.
I’d love to save others at least some of the effort and demonstrate that accessibility is not that hard to pull off.
Chris started out as a web developer when Netscape ruled the world and is currently working as a senior consultant at global insurance-broker JLT. He founded community group Singapore CSS because someone had to.
Aside from musical distractions and accumulating frequent flyer points, Chris and his wife Sarah can be found in the company of their small human.
- Access All Areas (CSSConf Asia 2016)
- Bad Form (Form, Function & Class 2016)
- No Fear (Singapore JS May 2016) http://www.meetup.com/Singapore-JS/events/231037529/
- No Fear (Singapore CSS April 2016) http://www.meetup.com/SingaporeCSS/events/230516842/
- Priority Plus Plus (Singapore CSS November 2015) http://www.meetup.com/SingaporeCSS/events/226313643/
- Blurred Lines (Singapore JS September 2015) http://www.meetup.com/Singapore-JS/events/224920859/
- Bad Form (JSConf Asia 2014) http://www.slideshare.net/cliener/jsconfx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7PBTOdAqrU&index=12&list=PL37ZVnwpeshE_Um4wU9fSn6xB5VB_61R-
- Validating forms (and more) with the HTML5 pattern attribute (Web Directions South 2013) http://www.slideshare.net/cliener/validating-forms-and-more-with-the-html5-pattern-attribute http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdg5i01LbG4
- Web Forms People Don’t Hate (Edge of the Web 2013) http://www.slideshare.net/cliener/web-forms-people-dont-hate
- Building & Breaking Web Forms (Web Directions South 2012) http://www.slideshare.net/cliener/building-breaking-web-forms-with-quaidjs
- How to Speed Up Your UX with Skeleton Screens (SitePoint, July 2016)
- Build Better Web Forms (NET Magazine April 2013)