Tips and tricks to change perfectionism
Below are some suggestions on how to change perfectionist behaviours:
- Relaxing the unrelenting high standards and thinking in shades of grey.
- Be prepared to try new things.
- Commitment of time and effort - are you ready for change? Changing perfectionist behaviours will involve tolerating discomfort for some time.
- Make a thought diary, listing the positive and negative consequences of pursuing unrelenting high standards/perfectionism.
- List the personal benefits and costs you anticipate if you loosen unrelenting high standards/perfectionism.
#4 and #5 will help you decide whether you are really ready for change.
Now, set goals for change:
- Choose a general area to work on first.
- Adjust your unrelenting high standards associated with this area.
- Identify the perfectionism behaviour you wish to work upon.
- Identify a specific goal towards reducing this perfectionism behaviour.
- Set a time frame.
If you have questions about perfectionism, post them in comments on https://hasgeek.com/kilter/overcoming-perfectionism/comments
Tarique Sani’s slides on perfectionism are available on https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1yjjdkn0nSqDGG-thm-j_FC7Ev6njWfhMSiq9IU1HJiU/edit?usp=sharing