Action planning to overcome perfectionism
Here is a step-by-step action plan to help you overcome perfectionism:
- Step one - identify the task or standard that you want to change.
- Step two - adjust the unhelpful rules and assumptions.
- Step three - put perfectionism in perspective.
- Step four - set an appropriate standard.
- Step five - carry out the practical strategies to reduce your perfectionism behaviours.
- Step six - challenge your perfectionist thinking.
- Step seven - re-evaluate achieving and challenge the perfectionist mindset.
- Step eight - reflect and revise your plan. Not every plan you start off with will be perfect to begin with.
Overcoming perfectionism is not going to be perfectly smooth. You will feel bumps along the road. But if you are consistent, you will achieve excellence in your life, and you will be able to shed perfectionism.
If you have questions about perfectionism, post them in comments on https://hasgeek.com/kilter/overcoming-perfectionism/comments
Tarique Sani’s slides on perfectionism are available on https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1yjjdkn0nSqDGG-thm-j_FC7Ev6njWfhMSiq9IU1HJiU/edit?usp=sharing