A Spy In The Battle of Privacy
In this talk, we discuss what goes behind the scenes when you click that little checkbox that says “I agree to the terms and conditions” of using a website. GDPR laws and active measures taken by browsers have made things a little better, but we still have a long way to go. I will talk about how you are being watched on the Internet, how every little mouse movement and every little keystroke is tracked, and where all that information goes, other than your target website. Clear your cookies, clear your cache, use private browsing — do whatever you want — they still know who you are. If they don’t, they will lock you behind a paywall.
Finally I will conclude with a few tips and tricks of keeping yourself and your data safe, especially the data is sensitive to you, like credit card numbers and passwords. And some other things like opting out of tracking, using browser plugins to block ads and trackers, fighting spam, identifying phishing attacks and using multi-factor authentication. This battle is far from over, and will rage on for years. But, for now, if some of us folks can “opt out” of it, let us do that.
In his spare time, he likes to create video games. He created Sheeping Around — a multiplayer card game about grazing and stealing sheep. He also likes to do illustration and travel to places.
- First concerns regarding cookies in 1996: https://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/04/business/giving-web-a-memory-cost-its-users-privacy.html
- NYT calls cookies “surveillance files”: https://www.nytimes.com/1999/04/06/opinion/privacy-isn-t-dead-yet.html
- New methods to detect incognito mode: https://bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/google-chrome-incognito-mode-can-still-be-detected-by-these-methods/
- Bypassing Incognito mode in Chrome 74+: https://mishravikas.com/articles/2019-07/bypassing-anti-incognito-detection-google-chrome.html
- Fingerprinting Demo: https://panopticlick.eff.org/
- Canvas Fingerprint Demo: https://browserleaks.com/canvas
- Don’t share your email if you don’t have to: http://tenminuteemail.com
- Use privacy-friendly search engines: https://itsfoss.com/privacy-search-engines/
- Hide your real online behaviour in a mess of fake behaviour: http://trackmenot.io/
- Create noise in your ad tracking: https://adnauseam.io/