The eighth edition of The Fifth Elephant will be held in Bangalore on 25 and 26 July. A thousand data scientists, ML engineers, data engineers and analysts will gather at the NIMHANS Convention Centre in Bangalore to discuss:
- Model management, including data cleaning, instrumentation and productionizing data science.
- Bad data and case studies of failure in building data products.
- Identifying and handling fraud + data security at scale
- Applications of data science in agriculture, media and marketing, supply chain, geo-location, SaaS and e-commerce.
- Feature engineering and ML platforms.
- What it takes to create data-driven cultures in organizations of different scales.
1. Meet Peter Wang, co-founder of Anaconda Inc, and learn about why data privacy is the first step towards robust data management; the journey of building Anaconda; and Anaconda in enterprise.
2. Talk to the Fulfillment and Supply Group (FSG) team from Flipkart, and learn about their work with platform engineering where ground truths are the source of data.
3. Attend tutorials on Deep Learning with RedisAI; TransmorgifyAI, Salesforce’s open source AutoML.
4. Discuss interesting problems to solve with data science in agriculture, SaaS perspective on multi-tenancy in Machine Learning (with the Freshworks team), bias in intent classification and recommendations.
5. Meet data science, data engineering and product teams from sponsoring companies to understand how they are handling data and leveraging intelligence from data to solve interesting problems.
Why you should attend?
- Network with peers and practitioners from the data ecosystem
- Share approaches to solving expensive problems such as cleanliness of training data, model management and versioning data
- Demo your ideas in the demo session
- Join Birds of Feather (BOF) sessions to have productive discussions on focussed topics. Or, start your own Birds of Feather (BOF) session.
Full schedule published here: https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/2019/schedule
For more information about The Fifth Elephant, sponsorships, or any other information call +91-7676332020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
JSFoo:VueDay 2019 sponsors:
Designing a Data Pipeline at Scale
Session type: Full talk of 40 mins
At Freshworks, we deal with petabytes of data everyday. For our data science teams to read online data, run ETL jobs and push out relevant predictions in quick time, it’s imperative to run a strong and efficient data pipeline. In this talk, we’ll go through the best practices in designing and architecting such pipelines.
The role of a data engineer
- Evaluation of role
- Working with corresponding teams in detail
- Designing the data science pipeline
- Feature engineering
- R vs Python vs Scala
- Training vs Serving
Scale by design
- Batch vs Stream
- Leveraging streaming services (Kafka)
- Dealing with online event data
- Batch processing
- Data-at-rest vs Working with real-time data
- Batch vs Stream
Building for Freshworks
- Complete architecture walkthrough
A quick view of monitoring
- Monitoring your ETL
- Health of data
- Optimising your alerts
- Webhook alert systems
I’ve been working as a Data Engineer at Freshworks for the last three years. Prior to that, I worked for four years at three early stage startups (including Airwoot) as a backend/data engineer.