The Fifth Elephant Winter edition starts at 9:30 am; live stream for members This update is for participants only
##The eighth edition of The Fifth Elephant will be held in Bangalore on 25 and 26 July. A thousand data scientists, ML engineers, data engineers and analysts will gather at the NIMHANS Convention Centre in Bangalore to discuss:
- Model management, including data cleaning, instrumentation and productionizing data science.
- Bad data and case studies of failure in building data products.
- Identifying and handling fraud + data security at scale
- Applications of data science in agriculture, media and marketing, supply chain, geo-location, SaaS and e-commerce.
- Feature engineering and ML platforms.
- What it takes to create data-driven cultures in organizations of different scales.
1. Meet Peter Wang, co-founder of Anaconda Inc, and learn about why data privacy is the first step towards robust data management; the journey of building Anaconda; and Anaconda in enterprise.
2. Talk to the Fulfillment and Supply Group (FSG) team from Flipkart, and learn about their work with platform engineering where ground truths are the source of data.
3. Attend tutorials on Deep Learning with RedisAI; TransmorgifyAI, Salesforce’s open source AutoML.
4. Discuss interesting problems to solve with data science in agriculture, SaaS perspective on multi-tenancy in Machine Learning (with the Freshworks team), bias in intent classification and recommendations.
5. Meet data science, data engineering and product teams from sponsoring companies to understand how they are handling data and leveraging intelligence from data to solve interesting problems.
##Why you should attend?
- Network with peers and practitioners from the data ecosystem
- Share approaches to solving expensive problems such as cleanliness of training data, model management and versioning data
- Demo your ideas in the demo session
- Join Birds of Feather (BOF) sessions to have productive discussions on focussed topics. Or, start your own Birds of Feather (BOF) session.
##Full schedule published here: https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/2019/schedule
For more information about The Fifth Elephant, sponsorships, or any other information call +91-7676332020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Defining and Solving Data Science for Finance Problems: A Case Study
Session type: Full talk of 40 mins
In this talk the speaker shares his understanding about the challenges of applying Data Science for Finance, takes an example in which he was involved in formulating a challenging problem and where cutting-edge Machine Learning research was used. Finally, the speaker offers his thoughts on how to go about formulating Data Science for Finance problems.
This talk will be tentatively be organized around four sections.
- Why is it hard to formulate Data Science problems for Finance.
- A specific problem: Why is service quality ignored in Finance and its relevance.
- Technical Challenges: Why this specific problem is tough and how State of the Art Machine Learning and Traditional Statistics may be used.
- How to formulate Data Science for Finance problems: Some sketchy thoughts...(this is partly art, partly science)
Aniruddha M Godbole has expertise in Finance, Computer Science and Statistics. Over the last 14 years he has worked in a bank, a financial risk managment consulting firm, and in the IT industry. Aniruddha has an MBA in Finance from National Institute of Bank Management and a MS in Data Science from Indiana University. Recently Aniruddha and his research supervisor Professor David Crandall authored a paper titled ‘Empowering Borrowers in their Choice of Lenders: Decoding Service Quality from Customer Complaints,’ ACM International Web Science Conference (WebSci), 2019. He has been consulted by the Central Bank on a financial innovation. He has contributed to the Opinion Pages of a major business newspaper on numerous occasions. Aniruddha is also the inventor of a mobile payments solution for basic mobile phones (patent application filed).