The eighth edition of The Fifth Elephant will be held in Bangalore on 25 and 26 July. A thousand data scientists, ML engineers, data engineers and analysts will gather at the NIMHANS Convention Centre in Bangalore to discuss:
- Model management, including data cleaning, instrumentation and productionizing data science.
- Bad data and case studies of failure in building data products.
- Identifying and handling fraud + data security at scale
- Applications of data science in agriculture, media and marketing, supply chain, geo-location, SaaS and e-commerce.
- Feature engineering and ML platforms.
- What it takes to create data-driven cultures in organizations of different scales.
1. Meet Peter Wang, co-founder of Anaconda Inc, and learn about why data privacy is the first step towards robust data management; the journey of building Anaconda; and Anaconda in enterprise.
2. Talk to the Fulfillment and Supply Group (FSG) team from Flipkart, and learn about their work with platform engineering where ground truths are the source of data.
3. Attend tutorials on Deep Learning with RedisAI; TransmorgifyAI, Salesforce’s open source AutoML.
4. Discuss interesting problems to solve with data science in agriculture, SaaS perspective on multi-tenancy in Machine Learning (with the Freshworks team), bias in intent classification and recommendations.
5. Meet data science, data engineering and product teams from sponsoring companies to understand how they are handling data and leveraging intelligence from data to solve interesting problems.
Why you should attend?
- Network with peers and practitioners from the data ecosystem
- Share approaches to solving expensive problems such as cleanliness of training data, model management and versioning data
- Demo your ideas in the demo session
- Join Birds of Feather (BOF) sessions to have productive discussions on focussed topics. Or, start your own Birds of Feather (BOF) session.
Full schedule published here: https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/2019/schedule
For more information about The Fifth Elephant, sponsorships, or any other information call +91-7676332020 or email email@example.com
JSFoo:VueDay 2019 sponsors:
Anatomy of a Reseller Bot - detecting and protecting customer experience at the scale of an eCommerce Flash sale
Flipkart pioneered online flash sales of Mobile phones in India. Many models eventually went on to become bestsellers, breaking records for most units sold in a matter of seconds. While we were scaling our systems to meet the spikes in user traffic to handle such sales, we were unknowingly also serving non-human bot traffic. These bots were run by resellers to buy the high-demand phones posing as retail customers, only to re-sell them in online portals like Olx and offline shops with a significant price markup. This talk is about our journey in handling such bot traffic - right from suspecting the traffic, validating the patterns and eventually building systems that can mitigate such traffic. I will cover topics like data collection, hypothesis validation and techniques used to combat spikes and differentiate between good, bad traffic and mitigate the latter.
- Characterize a typical Flash sale - explain the metrics that define such a sale, intent and the challenges in running such sales at scale.
- Discuss the need to bridge the Demand-Supply gap (Traffic vs Inventory) with finite resources and employing techniques/solutions to ensure best possible customer experience
- Discuss signals(offline and online) that indicate existence of Bots, gather data to validate the hypothesis
- Describe solution approaches - journey of what worked, failed and eventually current state
- Discuss learnings in System building, handling scale
Prior experience trying to buy a phone in Flipkart’s Flash sale is a plus - to understand the challenges as a end user!
Regunath works as Principal Architect at Flipkart where he leads system readiness and scaling for large events like the Big Billion Days. He is an Open Source developer and his work can be found here : https://github.com/regunathb