##About Rootconf 2019:
The seventh edition of Rootconf is a two-track conference with:
- Security talks and tutorials in audi 1 and 2 on 21 June.
- Talks on DevOps, distributed systems and SRE in audi 1 and audi 2 on 22 June.
##Topics and schedule:
View full schedule here: https://hasgeek.com/rootconf/2019/schedule
Rootconf 2019 includes talks and Birds of Feather (BOF) sessions on:
- OSINT and its applications
- Key management, encryption and its costs
- Running a bug bounty programme in your organization
- PolarDB architecture as Cloud Native Architecture, developed by Alibaba Cloud
- SRE and running distributed teams
- Routing security
- Log analytics
- Enabling SRE via automated feedback loops
- TOR for DevOps
##Who should attend Rootconf?
- DevOps programmers
- DevOps leads
- Systems engineers
- Infrastructure security professionals and experts
- DevSecOps teams
- Cloud service providers
- Companies with heavy cloud usage
- Providers of the pieces on which an organization’s IT infrastructure runs -- monitoring, log management, alerting, etc
- Organizations dealing with large network systems where data must be protected
- VPs of engineering
- Engineering managers looking to optimize infrastructure and teams
For information about Rootconf and bulk ticket purchases, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 7676332020. Only community sponsorships available.
##Rootconf 2019 sponsors:
Shooting the trouble down to the Wireshark Lua plugin
Wireshark is a Free (Libre) and Open Source protocol analyzer used for troubleshooting networks, and analysis of communication protocols. The Lua programming language support has been included in Wireshark for scripting, prototyping and packet dissection. At Aerospike, a NoSQL database company, we have implemented a Wireshark Lua plugin to help us solve issues at the wire level. In this workshop, I will be sharing the experiences and knowledge gained in creating a Lua dissector plugin. This includes code structure, layout, snippets, prototyping, testing, use cases and documentation. We will also have a hands-on workshop to get the participants introduced to Wireshark and Wireshark Lua interface to write protocol dissectors.
- Wireshark Lua
- Literate Programming
- Markdown Structure
- Protocol Dissection Pattern
- Dissector Table
- Wireshark User Interface
- Hands-on Session
- Message and Heartbeat Protocol
- CDT List Operations
- Reassembly of TCP Segments
- Hot key Report
- Debugging and Linting
- Future Work
You need to have Lua and Wireshark (GUI) installed on your laptop. If you are on any GNU/Linux distribution, you can the package manager to install them. For other operating systems, please install them from the official Wireshark downloads at https://www.wireshark.org/#download.
Familiarity with any programming language is good to get started with Lua.
Shakthi Kannan is a Free Software enthusiast who plays a Senior DevOps Engineer role at Aerospike, Bengaluru. He has developed the Aerospike Wireshark Lua plugin that is used for troubleshooting and network analysis. He is an avid promoter of Free (Libre) and Open Source Software, and blogs at shakthimaan.com. He holds a Masters degree in Information Technology from Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Web: http://www.shakthimaan.com
- Blog: http://www.shakthimaan.com/news.html
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/shakthimaan
- GitLab: https://gitlab.com/shakthimaan
- Presentations: http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads.html
- Previous Talks:
- Building a career with F/OSS (~ 1h) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A3Wsb7GaFc
- Pretty printing in Python (~ 29m) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OxWgyjlDmQ
- A World of Emacs (~ 42m) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVJNVKv6Nw