Meta Refresh 2018 will cover four primary topics:
- User research and design – how user research is carried out and translated into design (whether engineering or designing user interactions).
- Design systems – how collaborations are being enabled between engineers and designers. Here, we are looking for case studies.
- Tooling for design systems – share your experiences (and evaluations) of open source tools for design systems.
- Why the boundaries between UI and UX are not the way to proceed for design and designers.
Criteria to submit a conference proposal
You must be a practising web developer or designer, and must be able to show how your own work has advanced the state of the web in the past year. You are expected to present original work that your peers — this event’s audience — recognise as being notable enough to deserve a stage. If you are excited about someone’s work and believe it deserves wider recognition, we recommend you contact them and ask them to submit a proposal.
Guidelines for submission
Every proposal MUST be accompanied by:
- A two minute preview video where the proposer gives an elevator pitch about the talk.
- Detailed outline of the talk – either in the form of draft slides, mind map and/or textual description.
- If you are proposing to speak on a topic where the code is not open-sourced yet, the editorial panel will consider your proposal only if the code is made open-source at least three weeks before the conference.
Without the above information, your proposal will not be considered for review.
If you are submitting a Workshop Proposal, you must clearly state:
- Background knowledge that participants must possess in order to attend your workshop.
- Details and links to software / packages which participants must install before coming to the workshop.
- Laptop configuration.
- Links to background reading material and GitHub repos.
- Duration of the workshop.
- Maximum number of participants who can attend your workshop.
- Instructor’s past experience with conducting workshops.
There is only one speaker per session. Workshops can have more two or more instructors.
Entry is free for confirmed speakers.
If you are an outstation speaker, HasGeek will do its best to provide a grant that covers part of your travel and accommodation expenses in Bangalore, subject to budgetary constraints.
The 2018 edition is a multi-track event with the following session formats:
- Full length talks of 40 minutes
- Crisp talk of 15 minutes
- Workshops of 3-6 hours
- Off the Record sessions (OTR)
Deadline for submitting proposals: TBD
Conference date: 26-27 October, 2018
Meta Refresh will be held at the NIMHANS Convention Center, Bangalore
For more information about speaking proposals, tickets and sponsorships, write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call +9107676332020
How XR Environments Shape User Behavior
This talk is about how immersive reality(VR/AR/MR) will change the design research practices and how it is increasingly important for UX designers to know how to create amazing immersive experiences experiences.
Emerging virtual reality and spatial computing are shaping user expectations and behaviors as they enter an immersive space, changing the way we define user experience. It is a new medium for both potential customers and for software developers. Conventional designs of touch screen and desktop software sometimes do not directly map to VR interactions, as 3D environments within VR often afford substantially different modes of interaction.
Let’s explore using XR as your primary interface for Computer replacing your monitor with a head mounted display, and understand how people use XR for productivity and multitasking like browsing the internet, communications and social interactions, controlling IoT devices etc.
By the end of the session, you’ll be equipped with good knowledge on how to design interactions and products for XR-Enabled future world. You’ll also learn how to use Firefox Reality Browser, Mozilla Hubs to make virtual reality meetups, and combining XR with IoT.
Introduction to XR
2D experiences vs 3D Experiences
New user inputs(voice, look controls etc)
Desgning for 3D Spaces
Immersive Communications on Any Device using Hubs by Mozilla
Browsers for Immersive Reality content using Firefox Reality
Immersive control screens for IoT devices
Nothing, but just passion.
Ranjith Raj is a XR Developer, speaker for master training XR workshops in various parts of India.
He currently works as Executive Committee Member at Swecha(Free Software Movement of India), Founding member of Open Hardware India and Open Design India. He is a Mozilla Rep, Managing Member at Python Software Foundation, Board member of Opeb Access India.