WebSocket and Real Time Applications
Submitted by Saurabh Mishra (@msaurabh) on Monday, 7 July 2014
WebSocket represents the next evolutionary step in web communication compared to Comet and Ajax. However, each technology has its own unique capabilities. Learn how these technologies vary so you can make the right choice.
We will start with an introductory talk on WebSocket, comparing it with the current solutions – HTTP, AJAX, Comet etc. and showing its low overhead and latency, making it a better solution for today’s web applications. We will then move on to discuss pros and cons of various existing Socket Frameworks .
At the end of this session attendees will know
• What HTML5 Web Sockets are
• When they should be used
• How they can get started setting up working samples of their own
• How to build a socket IO application with ExpressJS and NodeJS.
• Other Web Socket Frameworks and advantages with SocketIO.
• WebSocket application DOs and DON'Ts.
Saurabh has been working with Adobe for more than 3 years and currently a memeber of the team developing Dreamweaver, which is all-in-one visual development tool for creating, publishing, and managing websites and mobile content. His interests include Web Development, WebSockets and building real time applications.