The eighth edition of The Fifth Elephant will be held in Bangalore on 25 and 26 July. A thousand data scientists, ML engineers, data engineers and analysts will gather at the NIMHANS Convention Centre in Bangalore to discuss:
- Model management, including data cleaning, instrumentation and productionizing data science.
- Bad data and case studies of failure in building data products.
- Identifying and handling fraud + data security at scale
- Applications of data science in agriculture, media and marketing, supply chain, geo-location, SaaS and e-commerce.
- Feature engineering and ML platforms.
- What it takes to create data-driven cultures in organizations of different scales.
1. Meet Peter Wang, co-founder of Anaconda Inc, and learn about why data privacy is the first step towards robust data management; the journey of building Anaconda; and Anaconda in enterprise.
2. Talk to the Fulfillment and Supply Group (FSG) team from Flipkart, and learn about their work with platform engineering where ground truths are the source of data.
3. Attend tutorials on Deep Learning with RedisAI; TransmorgifyAI, Salesforce’s open source AutoML.
4. Discuss interesting problems to solve with data science in agriculture, SaaS perspective on multi-tenancy in Machine Learning (with the Freshworks team), bias in intent classification and recommendations.
5. Meet data science, data engineering and product teams from sponsoring companies to understand how they are handling data and leveraging intelligence from data to solve interesting problems.
Why you should attend?
- Network with peers and practitioners from the data ecosystem
- Share approaches to solving expensive problems such as cleanliness of training data, model management and versioning data
- Demo your ideas in the demo session
- Join Birds of Feather (BOF) sessions to have productive discussions on focussed topics. Or, start your own Birds of Feather (BOF) session.
Full schedule published here: https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/2019/schedule
For more information about The Fifth Elephant, sponsorships, or any other information call +91-7676332020 or email email@example.com
JSFoo:VueDay 2019 sponsors:
Solving the vehicle routing problem for optimizing shipment delivery
Session type: Full talk of 40 mins
At each Flipkart Delivery hub, an important task is determining the assignment of shipments to vehicles and the specific routes taken by vehicles to deliver the items to customers. Informally, a good assignment is one that minimizes the total distance while also distributing the shipments evenly across the different vehicles and does not have too many overlapping or criss-crossing routes. We formulate the problem statement as a variant of the classic Vehicle Routing Problem (VRP) and build a solution engine from scratch that implements a set of computational heuristics to solve the problem.
- Description of the context at the Flipkart delivery hub.
- Solution constraints - customer time window, maximum number of shipments per vehicle.
- Defining a non-standard cost function - total travel time, route outliers, compactness of routes.
- Formulating the problem as a variant of VRPTW (vehicle routing problem with time windows).
- Computational complexity: NP-hard (generalization of Traveling Salesman Problem)
- Overview of some exact algorithms.
- Heuristics - (a) construction of routes and (b) route improvement
- Description of our construction step and iterative computational procedure to improve solutions.
- Discussion of results
Nothing in specific, but it helps to have some understanding of optimization procedures.
Venkateshan Kannan is a data scientist with the Logistics and Insight team at Flipkart. With a PhD. in statistical physics and postdoc in systems biology, Venkateshan has worked on problems spanning multiple domains in academia and industry. He enjoys approaching problems from first principles.