##The eighth edition of The Fifth Elephant will be held in Bangalore on 25 and 26 July. A thousand data scientists, ML engineers, data engineers and analysts will gather at the NIMHANS Convention Centre in Bangalore to discuss:
- Model management, including data cleaning, instrumentation and productionizing data science.
- Bad data and case studies of failure in building data products.
- Identifying and handling fraud + data security at scale
- Applications of data science in agriculture, media and marketing, supply chain, geo-location, SaaS and e-commerce.
- Feature engineering and ML platforms.
- What it takes to create data-driven cultures in organizations of different scales.
1. Meet Peter Wang, co-founder of Anaconda Inc, and learn about why data privacy is the first step towards robust data management; the journey of building Anaconda; and Anaconda in enterprise.
2. Talk to the Fulfillment and Supply Group (FSG) team from Flipkart, and learn about their work with platform engineering where ground truths are the source of data.
3. Attend tutorials on Deep Learning with RedisAI; TransmorgifyAI, Salesforce’s open source AutoML.
4. Discuss interesting problems to solve with data science in agriculture, SaaS perspective on multi-tenancy in Machine Learning (with the Freshworks team), bias in intent classification and recommendations.
5. Meet data science, data engineering and product teams from sponsoring companies to understand how they are handling data and leveraging intelligence from data to solve interesting problems.
##Why you should attend?
- Network with peers and practitioners from the data ecosystem
- Share approaches to solving expensive problems such as cleanliness of training data, model management and versioning data
- Demo your ideas in the demo session
- Join Birds of Feather (BOF) sessions to have productive discussions on focussed topics. Or, start your own Birds of Feather (BOF) session.
##Full schedule published here: https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/2019/schedule
For more information about The Fifth Elephant, sponsorships, or any other information call +91-7676332020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to R for Data Science [Workshop]
Session type: Workshop
R programming is one of the most popular programming languages used in Data Science. Known for its simplicity and easy to take off working environment, R has been the language of choice of many non-programmers and its Rich ecosystem enables it to perform variety of Data Science related tasks. The objective of this workshop is to help you get started with R for you to move forward with your Data Science journey. As we are moving into the world of language-agnostic developers, Even if you know a language already, knowing another extra programming language like R would add an extra feather to your cap.
Introduction to R & RStudio
Basics of R Programming
Data wrangling and Visualization using Tidyverse
Documentation and Reporting using R Markdown
Sample R Projects
Duration of the workshop:: 3 Hours (Basics R) + ~2 Hours (R for Data analysis)
Background knowledge required to participate in the workshop:: This material is designed for even Non-programmers (Statisticians and Economists) to start with R.
What concepts/technologies should participants be familiar with in order to attend the workshop.: A little bit of some programming language idea would help.
Target audience: who should attend the workshop?: A SAS/Data Scientist wanting to learn R to couple with their existing Tech stack.
Who should NOT attend this workshop.: Anyone who has read an R book or even some bit of R book wouldn’t need to attend, as it might seem very reduntant.
Why attend this workshop? What will participants learn from attending this workshop? How will they benefit?: Data science Tech stack is vast and huge with individual advantages. Having a langauge like R in your toolkit would be really valuable. For example: R has rich set of Bayesian tools and DSLs of R are quite extensive/customizable/useful. Participants will learn to start with R thus setting up the base layer for further development like NLP with R / Automated Dashboarding/Reporting using R.
Detailed workshop plan:
Introduction to R & RStudio
- What’s R
- What’s RStudio
- Why R
- Demo of R
- RStudio Overview
- RStudio Panes
- RStudio Toolbar
- RStudio Best Practices
- Basics of R Programming
- Programming Concepts like
- Data Structures
- Control Flows
- Conditions and more
- Data wrangling and Visualization using Tidyverse
- What’s tidyverse and what does it constitute
- Data Analysis / Wrangling (mostly
- Data Visualiation (
- Documentation and Reporting using R Markdown
- Creating Documentation / Reporting
- Publishing RMarkdown
- Sample R Projects
Sample R projects (Industry use-case)
* R and RStudio are required to be installed
* Basic System Config of 2+ GB RAM, Any OS
* Some set of packages mentioned in the github repo should be installed
* Download the github repo that contains data (along with the code and presentation)
Better for those who knew some programming before. But also for Beginners - especially those who want to do Data science.
Abdul Majed is an Analytics Consultant helping Organizations make sense some out of the massive - often not knowing what to do - data. Married to R (but dating Python). Always amazed by Open Source and its contributors and trying to be one of them.
Organizer @ Bengaluru R user Group (BRUG) Organizer
Contributed to Open source by publishing packages on CRAN and PyPi
Writer @ Towards Data Science and DataScience+