##The eighth edition of The Fifth Elephant will be held in Bangalore on 25 and 26 July. A thousand data scientists, ML engineers, data engineers and analysts will gather at the NIMHANS Convention Centre in Bangalore to discuss:
- Model management, including data cleaning, instrumentation and productionizing data science.
- Bad data and case studies of failure in building data products.
- Identifying and handling fraud + data security at scale
- Applications of data science in agriculture, media and marketing, supply chain, geo-location, SaaS and e-commerce.
- Feature engineering and ML platforms.
- What it takes to create data-driven cultures in organizations of different scales.
1. Meet Peter Wang, co-founder of Anaconda Inc, and learn about why data privacy is the first step towards robust data management; the journey of building Anaconda; and Anaconda in enterprise.
2. Talk to the Fulfillment and Supply Group (FSG) team from Flipkart, and learn about their work with platform engineering where ground truths are the source of data.
3. Attend tutorials on Deep Learning with RedisAI; TransmorgifyAI, Salesforce’s open source AutoML.
4. Discuss interesting problems to solve with data science in agriculture, SaaS perspective on multi-tenancy in Machine Learning (with the Freshworks team), bias in intent classification and recommendations.
5. Meet data science, data engineering and product teams from sponsoring companies to understand how they are handling data and leveraging intelligence from data to solve interesting problems.
##Why you should attend?
- Network with peers and practitioners from the data ecosystem
- Share approaches to solving expensive problems such as cleanliness of training data, model management and versioning data
- Demo your ideas in the demo session
- Join Birds of Feather (BOF) sessions to have productive discussions on focussed topics. Or, start your own Birds of Feather (BOF) session.
##Full schedule published here: https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/2019/schedule
For more information about The Fifth Elephant, sponsorships, or any other information call +91-7676332020 or email email@example.com
Alerting @ AppDynamics: Simplifying User Experience for Data Intensive Applications
AppDynamics builds products that help large enterprises monitor their Application environments. A big part of monitoring is to be alerted when something goes wrong. AppDynamics provides tools that help users build these alerts, and over the last ten years, they have been using these tools to build alerts for mission critical applications.
This talk goes over the challenges of building a product that requires users to comprehend patterns in their data and then use those patterns to build meaningful alerts.
I first identify the different patterns that metrics can take and what kind of alerting is meaningful and relevant to each pattern. The talk then explores the complexity of modern day application architectures and shows why it is difficult for users to find the right metrics or combinations of metrics to be alerted on.
I then take a deep dive into the process that users undergo to define, fine tune and maintain alerts. I first illustrate the need for alert sensitivity feedback and talk through various explorations of how to achieve this. I also talk about the differences in a user’s mental model of metric correlation and actual data, and how we can bridge that gap. I then define alert noise and use that definition to segment alerts as well as to justify the need for user feedback on alert effectiveness. I also talk about grouping alerts into situations or incidents.
I end this talk with an exploration of various use cases that justify the use of Machine Learning (specifically anomaly detection) to augment manually configured alerts.
- AppDynamics overview
- Use cases for alerting
- Alerting Fundamentals
- Metric Patterns
- Types of alerts
- Alert Configuration
- User Flows
- Sensitivity Feedback
- Metric Correlation: Mental Model vs Reality
- Alert Noise
- Incident Management and Alert Grouping
- Anomaly Detection
Saarthak Puri is a Senior Product Manager at AppDynamics, the market leader in Application Performance Monitoring. He is responsible for the core Alerting Product there. Prior to AppDynamics, he was a Senior Product Manager at Capillary, where he led their Data Science Products. He has been an Entreprenuer in the past. Saarthak is passionate about Enterprise Software, and is deeply interested in building simple and elegant user experiences for complex enterprise workflows. He has a Bachelor of Technology in electrical engineering from IIT-Roorkee.