Why we built the most adopted Polyglot Object Mapper for NoSQL?
The talk would narrate the story of building the most adopted Polyglot Object Mapper for NoSQL, Kundera (https://github.com/impetus-opensource/Kundera). Kundera is a High Level Client / Object Mapper with a JPA interface for working with RDBMS and NoSQL Datastores. It can be considered as a Hibernate equivalent for NoSQL Datastore.
NoSQL Datastores are tough. But JPA interface of dealing with Datastores is easy, well known and has been popular with developers since long. So we combined both the two things and created Kundera.
Kundera is innovative in many ways:
• Kundera supports polyglot persistence i.e. an application can use multiple and any combination of datastores. All the hard work related to mapping, persisting, reading, indexing and transacting object model across multiple datastores is handled by Kundera,
• Kundera supports 8 NoSQL datatsores and any RDBMS.
• Kundera provides very easy and well known interfaces like JPA and REST to interact with all the datastores. Hence it hides all the complexities of NoSQL stores and reduces the learning curve enormously.
• Kundera also facilitates easy migration of your existing hibernate/JPA powered applications to NoSQL.
• Kundera is extremely extensible and one can easily add support for new datastores with very minimal effort.
Impact of this product:
• It has made the task of a NoSQL developer extremely easy.
• It has simplified working with 8 leading NoSQL datastores; Cassandra, MongoDB, HBase, Neo4j, Redis, Oracle NoSQL, CouchBase and ElasticSearch.
• It has enabled 10 very big scale applications to use NoSQL and move to production.
• It has enabled number of people in open source community to build exciting solutions (like NoSQL Datastore Migrator, NoSQL Data Viewer) on top of Kundera.
While coming up with such a product that talks to so many different types of datastore, there have been challenges. And the learnings. The talk would cover these challenges and learnings.
Vivek Shrivastava, Technical Architect & NoSQL Evangelist, Impetus Technologies
Vivek Shrivastava has over 14 years of experience on product development, designing and engineering enterprise grade solutions for Finance, Travel, Retail and Interactive Television domains. His expertise includes NoSQL Data-stores, Cloud Computing and BigData. Vivek has spearheaded the design & architecture of several large & cloud scale solutions for data lifecycle management at petabyte scale. Vivek also leads the development at Open source project Kundera which is a JPA 2.0 compliant Object-NoSQL Mapping Library and is a major advocate of Polyglot Persistence.