Workshop: SQL Masterclass Part 1 👩🏼💻👨🏼💻
Never again get stuck writing queries ✅
A SQL workshop designed to help you develop intuitive fluency in SQL. Learn the two foundational concepts that form a query and one robust technique of writing and composing queries, that works every single time.
Window functions? ✔️
Complex report like queries? ✔️
Learnings from 14+ years of working with relational databases, distilled into a series of online workshops.
- Structure: All SELECT queries have exactly the same structure. Understand it once and you can read and understand /any/ query.
- Lifecycle: what executes first? What values, functions are available in what parts of a query? e.g. you cannot use
whereclauses since where clauses execute first.
- Approach: Using our understanding from 1 and 2, we will learn a methodical approach that allows us to write any query systematically and efficiently. As a nice side effect, this approach also yields very performant queries.
- Hands-on workshop, instant feedback
- Develop the right approach by working on exercises in the class
- Spaced repetition to cement your knowledge after the class is over
- A community of peers to learn together
Words from previous attendees ⭐
I have been using ORMs for the last 10 years. I was never comfortable with raw SQL queries. Attending Swanand’s workshop gave a me clear understanding of how databases work. How to think about joins and how to write raw queries without fear. I would highly recommend his workshop to anyone working with databases.
Attended this last time. Quite insightful. This workshop is a gem if you’re looking to solidify your foundations in Postgres and SQL.
This workshop made me confident enough to write big queries; recently wrote a 200+ lines query for a data migration.
Swanand’s workshop was a gloves off treatment of the power of postgreSQL. In two days, we had written very large queries, multiple migration scripts while making sure that we could revert back to the old version of the database if needed, different kinds of views and exposed ourselves to several features of the database which I was not aware of.
I can, without reservation, say that it was very high value for money and it significantly improved my skills with postgreSQL. Highly recommended.
This is not a SQL primer and previous experience with SQL is required.
When you read a query like
SELECT post_id, COUNT(id) FROM articles GROUP BY post_id
you shouldn’t draw a blank. It’s okay if you don’t understand everything that is going on here. But this workshop will work the best for you if you are familiar with this or queries like this.
Senior backend engineer, leader, and mentor, with a focus on web application development and relational databases. I have been using and teaching MySQL, PostgreSQL for over 10 years.
- The workshop website that covers the whole syllabus: https://postgres-workshop.com/
- A blog post explaining some ideas behind the pedagogy of this workshop: https://info.pagnis.in/blog/2017/08/19/deconstructing-sql-queries/
- My most popular talk that talks about understanding RDBMS as a foundational skill for career development: https://speakerdeck.com/swanandp/the-well-rounded-engineer