In this workshop, we will learn the two foundational concepts that form a query and one robust technique of writing and composing queries, that works every single time.
Window functions? ✔️
Complex report like queries? ✔️
- Structure: All SELECT queries have exactly the same structure. Understand it once and you can read and understand /any/ query.
- Lifecycle: what executes first? What values, functions are available in what parts of a query? e.g. you cannot use
whereclauses since where clauses execute first.
- Approach: Using our understanding from 1 and 2, we will learn a methodical approach that allows us to write any query systematically and efficiently. As a nice side effect, this approach also yields very performant queries.
- Hands-on workshop, instant feedback
- Develop the right approach by working on exercises in the class
- Spaced repetition to cement your knowledge after the class is over
- A community of peers to learn together
This is not a SQL primer. Previous experience with SQL is a must. It is alright if you’ve only worked with ActiveRecord or Django.DB or Segment. But when you read a query like:
SELECT post_id, COUNT(id) FROM articles GROUP BY post_id
you shouldn’t draw a blank. It’s okay if you don’t understand everything that is going on here. But this workshop will work the best for you if you are familiar with this or queries like this.
This is a paid workshop. Zoom link will be shared with participants prior to the workshop.
Swanand Pagnis is senior backend engineer, leader, and mentor, with a focus on web application development and relational databases. He has been using and teaching MySQL, PostgreSQL for over 10 years.
I have been using ORMs for the last 10 years. I was never comfortable with raw SQL queries. Attending Swanand’s workshop gave a me clear understanding of how databases work. How to think about joins and how to write raw queries without fear. I would highly recommend his workshop to anyone working with databases.
Attended this last time. Quite insightful. This workshop is a gem if you’re looking to solidify your foundations in Postgres and SQL.
This workshop made me confident enough to write big queries; recently wrote a 200+ lines query for a data migration.
Swanand’s workshop was a gloves off treatment of the power of postgreSQL. In two days, we had written very large queries, multiple migration scripts while making sure that we could revert back to the old version of the database if needed, different kinds of views and exposed ourselves to several features of the database which I was not aware of.
I can, without reservation, say that it was very high value for money and it significantly improved my skills with postgreSQL. Highly recommended.
For inquiries about the workshop, contact +91-7676332020 or write to firstname.lastname@example.org