Fasten your Seatbelts ! Deployment Automation using Docker and Ansible
Early 2015, We were building a Single sign-on (SSO) solution to vast majority of our customers from scratch. Our previous datacenter deployments used to take roughly 3~4 hours(scripts+manual) on a maintenance window over the weekend.
Our main idea was to build robust infrastructure which includes High availability (HA) , comprehensive monitoring solution and completely automate the production deployments and if needed we can deploy to production on daily basis. Secondly, to build a local development environment same as our HA production environment so as to debug production issues on our local DEV environment with ease.We were evaluating different tools…Docker and Ansible came to our rescue.We started packaging all our software as RPMS , CI (Jenkins) pushing them to Artifactory and using Ansible playbooks to deploy these RPMS/code on docker containers (built using docker files) on DEV environment. Further, we enhanced our DEV setup using Single Click automation and it would setup full stack from scratch on docker containers using Ansible playbooks.
Post using docker and Ansible , Our Production deployments were completely automated, deterministic and takes less than 20mins compared to 4 hours earlier.
Session Outline :
In this session, We’ll cover:
- A quick history of our deployment challenges and what led us to Docker.
- The benefits of Single click Development environment setup using docker.
- The benefits of our new deterministic deployment approach — easy to Setup and minimal investment
- How we combine Docker, Ansible and the Jfrog’s Artifactory for more streamlined continuous integration and deployment
Ram is a Sofware Developer @JFrog (R&D India). 10+ years of product Development experience.Previously worked for startup companies like CallidusCloud (SAP Company), Konylabs. Loves Automation, Linux, openSource :)
Speaker Experience :
- AWS Community day, Pune India - Feb 8, 2020 - (https://awscommunitydaypune.tech/)
- Developer week , SF Bay Area (Oakland, CA), USA - Feb 14, 2020 - (https://www.developerweek.com/)