Real-time monitoring GlusterFS using event APIs
Previously to monitor GlusterFS, applications had to run the cluster/volume status commands in periodic intervals. Let us imagine a Gluster monitoring system which displays a list of volumes and its state, to show the real-time status, monitoring app need to query the Gluster in regular interval to check volume status, new volumes, etc. Assume if the polling interval is 5 seconds then monitoring app has to run gluster volume info command ~17000 times a day!
With Gluster 3.9 release, Events APIs are available which can be consumed by registering applications as Webhooks. A monitoring application can get real-time status of Cluster without polling or with minimal polling.
In this talk, we will learn about Events APIs and how it can be used for monitoring GlusterFS
- Introduction to Gluster FS
- Challenges involved in real-time monitoring of a distributed File system(GlusterFS)
- Events APIs Introduction
- Example application
- Future plans of Gluster Events APIs
Basic Knowledge of GlusterFS(Optional)
Aravinda works as Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat, in GlusterFS team where he contributes to Geo-replication, Glusterfind, Events APIs and other components.
- 10 minutes introduction to Gluster Eventing http://aravindavk.in/blog/10-mins-intro-to-gluster-eventing/
- Effective Gluster Monitoring using Events APIs http://aravindavk.in/blog/effective-gluster-monitoring-eventsapis/
- Gluster Geo-rep dashboard experiment using Events APIs http://aravindavk.in/blog/gluster-georep-dashboard-experiment/