Sarika Atri, SRE Conf editor, curates the first fireside chat on SRE with Akash Saxena of Viacomm and Hotstar This update is for participants only
The evolution of the cloud in the last decade has radically simplified infrastructure deployment. Undoubtedly, major providers like AWS, Azure, GCP, Alibaba Cloud have removed entry barriers for developers to either launch a new product or to scale infinitely. However, no software company can keep scaling without taking a look at the cost of infrastructure as a percentage of its revenue.
Many companies today are struggling with cloud costs eating up a significant portion of their gross margins. In this conference, we will discuss the tools, techniques and best practices for monitoring and controlling cloud costs.
- Best practices for monitoring and auditing cloud costs.
- Techniques and design choices for controlling cloud costs.
- Case studies and experience reports.
- CTOs and VP engineering of startups in the growth phase, who are expecting their cloud costs to go up in the near future; interested in case studies and tools.
- Engineering Manager of a large organization who is interested in controlling the costs for their division; interested in case studies and tools.
- Senior engineers who are interested to know about architectural choices and how they affect the cloud costs.
If you are interested in speaking at the conference, submit your talk idea here. The editors - Anand C and Raghdip Panesar - will review your talk description and give feedback.
Guidelines for speaking, speaker honorarium policy, and travel grant policy details are published here.
This conference is curated by Anand Chitipothu and Raghdip Singh Panesar.
Anand has been building software, managing servers and infrastructure for over two decades. He has curated the Scaling from First Principles series of discussions with Rootconf.
Raghdip is Staff Engineer - Network at Google. Prior to joining Google Raghdip spent nine years at Flipkart as network architect and senior staff engineer.
This is a community-funded conference. It will be held in-person. Attendance is open to Rootconf members only. Support the conference with a membership to join. If you have questions about participation, post a comment here.
Sponsorship slots are open for:
- Cloud providers who want to evangelise their efforts on optimizing the costs of cloud, and showcase customer success stories.
- Tool providers.
- Companies seeking tech branding for hiring.
Email sponsorship queries to email@example.com
Role of FOSS in optimizing costs of cloud infrastructure
The theme of the panel discussion is the role of FOSS in controlling cloud costs. The panel will broadly cover the following topics:
- Role of FOSS in controlling cloud costs
- Challenges and risks in adopting FOSS tools
- Issues with proprietary SAAS tools
- Self hosting versus managed hosting
Kailash Nadh is the CTO of Zerodha and one of the founders of FOSS United Foundation. Kailash will moderate the panel discussion.
Deepti Agrawal works as Director of Engineering at Flipkart. She leads the PAAS service group at Flipkart, providing managed services on their hybrid cloud to the engineering teams. Their platform is built on FOSS tools, with enterprise support for some of them.
Ram Bhavaraju is an engineering leader at Ather Energy. He has built Ather’s data platform on GCP driving down the cost of data collection considerably. He has interesting insights about running Kafka and Clickhouse in production, and the pros and cons of self-hosting and using enterprise offerings of them.
Santanu Sinha works as Chief Architect at PhonePe. He built the checkout system at Flipkart, tracking system at Ola and transaction processing system at PhonePe. PhonePe self-hosts most of their infrastructure and run on-premise.
Anand Chitipothu has curated this panel. He is the editor of the conference along with Raghdip Singh Panesar.