Sarika Atri, SRE Conf editor, curates the first fireside chat on SRE with Akash Saxena of Viacomm and Hotstar This update is for participants only
The evolution of the cloud in the last decade has radically simplified infrastructure deployment. Undoubtedly, major providers like AWS, Azure, GCP, Alibaba Cloud have removed entry barriers for developers to either launch a new product or to scale infinitely. However, no software company can keep scaling without taking a look at the cost of infrastructure as a percentage of its revenue.
Many companies today are struggling with cloud costs eating up a significant portion of their gross margins. In this conference, we will discuss the tools, techniques and best practices for monitoring and controlling cloud costs.
- Best practices for monitoring and auditing cloud costs.
- Techniques and design choices for controlling cloud costs.
- Case studies and experience reports.
- CTOs and VP engineering of startups in the growth phase, who are expecting their cloud costs to go up in the near future; interested in case studies and tools.
- Engineering Manager of a large organization who is interested in controlling the costs for their division; interested in case studies and tools.
- Senior engineers who are interested to know about architectural choices and how they affect the cloud costs.
If you are interested in speaking at the conference, submit your talk idea here. The editors - Anand C and Raghdip Panesar - will review your talk description and give feedback.
Guidelines for speaking, speaker honorarium policy, and travel grant policy details are published here.
This conference is curated by Anand Chitipothu and Raghdip Singh Panesar.
Anand has been building software, managing servers and infrastructure for over two decades. He has curated the Scaling from First Principles series of discussions with Rootconf.
Raghdip is Staff Engineer - Network at Google. Prior to joining Google Raghdip spent nine years at Flipkart as network architect and senior staff engineer.
This is a community-funded conference. It will be held in-person. Attendance is open to Rootconf members only. Support the conference with a membership to join. If you have questions about participation, post a comment here.
Sponsorship slots are open for:
- Cloud providers who want to evangelise their efforts on optimizing the costs of cloud, and showcase customer success stories.
- Tool providers.
- Companies seeking tech branding for hiring.
Email sponsorship queries to email@example.com
Cloud Cost Optimization: Unveiling Tradeoffs and Embracing Multi-Layered Strategies for Optimal Efficiency
Exotel is a leading customer conversation platform enabling connected conversations between businesses and their customers, and leverages cloud significantly. Exotel is growing rapidly and has seen its cloud costs grow by up to 7X in the past 2 years (from 10s of thousands of $$ to 100s of thousands of $$ per month). Embedded in this growth have been different phases to cost management: 2020 the focus was to reduce costs, 2021 focus was top line/growth (speed and agility), come 2022/23 focus is now margins. Each of these phases meant different approaches to cloud costs. These varied phases resulted in our cloud costs as a % of revenue varying between 55% and 150% of the mean.
Through this talk, I intend to share the various views we have developed on cloud cost management with specific anecdotes. I will talk about:
- Considerations behind identifying cost sweetspot for a given scenario
a. Cost Vs X tradeoff
- Cost implementation learnings
a. Layered approach to cost optimization (Contracts, Operational, Architectural)
b. How the approaches need to vary with size of the org and nature of the workload ( Elasticity of workload, Product/feature set volatility)
c. Sustainability of optimisations (Creating self correcting systems)