About Rootconf Pune:
Rootconf Pune is a conference for:
- DevOps engineers
- Site Reliability Engineers (SRE)
- Security and DevSecOps professionals
- Software engineers
- Network engineers
The Pune edition will cover talks on:
- InfoSec and application security for DevOps programmers
- DNS and TLS 1.3
- SRE and distributed systems
- Containers and scaling
Speakers from Flipkart, Hotstar, Red Hat, Trusting Social, Appsecco, InfraCloud Technologies, among others, will share case studies from their experiences of building security, SRE and Devops in their organizations.
Two workshops will be held before and after Rootconf Pune:
- Full-day Prometheus training workshop on 20 September, conducted by Goutham V, contributor to Prometheus and developer at Grafana Labs. Details about the workshop are available here: https://hasgeek.com/rootconf/2019-prometheus-training-pune/
- Full-day DNS deep dive workshop on 22 September by Ashwin Murali: https://hasgeek.com/rootconf/2019-dns-deep-dive-workshop-pune/
Rootconf Pune will be held on 21 September at St. Laurn Hotel, Koregaon Park, Pune-411001.
Rootconf Pune 2019 sponsors:
To know more about Rootconf, check out the following resources:
For information about the event, tickets (bulk discounts automatically apply on 5+ and 10+ tickets) and speaking, call Rootconf on 7676332020 or write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Implementing distributed tracing in FaaS
Microservices as well as functions have changed the way applications are built and deployed now a days. Adoption of these distributed architectures have helped teams to implement scalable, efficient and reliable systems. Operational tasks like debugging have became quite tricky with this change. With functions, these tasks become more complicated when you have message queues like Kafka in between. Having a system to which we can ask questions about state of our services is really crucial. Distributed tracing helps to have observability in our system. It helps to get more insight into how our services are communicating.
This talk will be a walk through about my journey of implementing distributed tracing in functions which run on a Function as a Service platform, called Fission. It will also brief about changes made to the Fission’s components, as well Jaeger’s client library along the way.
- What is observability?
- Logging and metrics
- Distributed tracing
- About Fission
- Fission function environments
- About Jaeger
- Instrumenting applications using client libraries
- Architecture of demo application
- Kafka as message queue
- Instrumenting the functions
- Modifications made to the Fission’s environments
- Propagating the context through Kafka
- Changes made to Fission
- Changes made to Jaeger’s Python library
- It is better to have basic idea about microservices
Bhavin is working with InfraCloud Technologies, Pune. His main area of interest are Free/Libre and Open Source Software, DevSecOps, containers and Kubernetes. Have contributed to Fission as well Jaeger’s components.