Lua is a simple, powerful, efficient, embeddable scripting language. It is widely used in the industry and is a leading scripting language for C projects. This workshop will introduce participants to the Lua programming language, its syntax and semantics. Lab exercises help in quickly understanding the language constructs.
Who should attend the workshop?
- Operations engineers
- Game developers
- Network operations practitioners
- Programming language enthusiasts
Why you should attend this workshop?
- Lua is the preferred choice for scripting interface when working on C projects.
- Gaming industry also uses Lua extensively for scripting.
- System administrators and network operations practitioners who want to troubleshoot networks and analyze protocols will find the Wireshark Lua plugin interface very useful.
- Programming language enthusiasts can add another simple, yet powerful scripting language to your knowledge.
At the end of the workshop, you will have learnt the Lua programming language, and understood its use cases with examples.
Pre-requisites for attending this workshop:
Familiarity with any programming language is good to get started with Lua.
You must install install Lua on your laptop before coming to the workshop. If you are on any GNU/Linux distribution, you can use the package manager to install Lua. For the use case examples, you should install Wireshark (GUI), awesome window manager and OpenResty from the links shared above.
If you are on any other operating system, use a Virtual Machine to run any *nix distribution, and install the above mentioned packages. The official Wireshark downloads are available at https://www.wireshark.org/#download.
About the instructor:
Shakthi Kannan is a Free Software enthusiast who blogs at shakthimaan.com. He is an avid promoter of Free/Libre and Open Source Software, and has been organizing technical workshops in India for more than a decade. He holds a Masters degree in Information Technology from Rochester Institute of Technology.
Shakthi conducted the tutorial version of this workshop at Rootconf 2019 More than 50 participants attended the tutorial, and rated the content, usefulness of the session, and Shakthi Kannan’s teaching style very highly.
Date: Saturday, 5 October
Time: 10:00 AM to 5:40 PM
Venue: HasGeek, 2699, 19th Main, HAL 2nd stage, Indiranagar, Bangalore - 560008