DNS is the most basic building block of the internet, a protocol for computers and devices to discover the addresses of other computers and devices across the globe.
Topics covered in this full-day workshop:
- Grok DNS - what makes the Domain Naming System? How does it tick? What is the plumbing underneath?
- DNS resolution - how does your browser know what the address of google.com is? How does the query look like? How does it execute? How does the response come back?
- DNS caching
- DNS security issues - what are the ways you poison a DNS request? What happens when DNS/Cache is poisoned?
- Securing your DNS - DNSSEC, DNSCrypt, DOH, where the workshop will delve into each of the options you have to make sure your DNS requests are secure
- Setup and running your own DNS Resolver where you will put all of the above into practice. You will setup a DNS resolver on your local laptops to run secure DNS queries.
Why attend the DNS deep dive workshop:
This workshop will give you a thorough understanding of DNS, including:
- How to run a DNSSEC resolver
- Knowledge of whether your DNS queries are safe from tampering or profiling by running your own DNSCrypt resolver
- Upskill yourself and become a better developer/practitioner
Testimonials from past participants:
Ashwin Murali conducted a half-day workshop on DNS on 23 June. Here is what participants had to say about the workshop.
“I am glad I attended this workshop. I learnt many things. Now I have a starting point to understand advanced concepts on my own.”
All attendees came from diverse backgrounds. Yet, everyone was able to get something out of it.
It was an excellent workshop and had informative discussions.
Pre-requisites to attend the workshop:
- Participants have a basic understanding of how the internet works - what the different protocols are - TCP, UDP, etc.
- This is a hands-on workshop where participants will follow the workshop exercises on their laptops. Therefore, you must bring your own laptop to try the commands as they appear on the screen. There is no restriction on the kind of operating system you are running on your laptop.
Date: Saturday, 23 November 2019
Time: 10 AM to 5 PM
Venue: To be announced
Workshop schedule: https://hasgeek.com/rootconf/2019-dns-deep-dive-workshop-pune/schedule
About the trainer:
Ashwin Murali heads the DevOps team at Zoomcar, India’s largest self-driving car rental platform. When he’s not handling scaling issues, and optimising infrastructure, Ashwin spends time working with the DNSCrypt project helping people setup Secure DNS Servers that encrypt your DNS queries, block ads and pornography. He also runs his own email servers to prove that the world can operate without the likes of Google.