Shooting the trouble down to the Wire...shark Lua Plugin
Wireshark is a Free and Open Source protocol analyzer used for troubleshooting networks, and analysis of communication protocols. The Lua programming language support has been included in Wireshark for scripting, prototyping and packet dissection. At Aerospike, a NoSQL database company, we have implemented a Wireshark Lua plugin to help us solve issues at the wire level. In this talk, I will be sharing the experiences and knowledge gained in creating a Lua dissector plugin. This includes project organization, code snippets, prototyping, testing, metrics and documentation. Real-world examples illustrating the plugin use for client-server communication, and intra-node cluster communication will also be demonstrated.
- Wireshark Lua
- Literate Programming
- Protocol Dissection Pattern
- User Interface
- Use cases
- Client-Server Communication
- Server-Server Communication
Shakthi Kannan is a Free Software enthusiast who plays a DevOps Engineer role at Aerospike, Bengaluru. He has developed the Aerospike Wireshark Lua plugin that is used for troubleshooting and network analysis. He is an avid promoter of Free and Open Source Software, and blogs at shakthimaan.com. He holds a Masters degree in Information Technology from Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Web: http://www.shakthimaan.com
- Blog: http://www.shakthimaan.com/news.html
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/shakthimaan
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/shakthimaan
- GitHub: http://github.com/shakthimaan
- Presentations: http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads.html