Meta Refresh 2018 will cover four primary topics:
- User research and design -- how user research is carried out and translated into design (whether engineering or designing user interactions).
- Design systems -- how collaborations are being enabled between engineers and designers. Here, we are looking for case studies.
- Tooling for design systems -- share your experiences (and evaluations) of open source tools for design systems.
- Why the boundaries between UI and UX are not the way to proceed for design and designers.
You must be a practising web developer or designer, and must be able to show how your own work has advanced the state of the web in the past year. You are expected to present original work that your peers — this event’s audience — recognise as being notable enough to deserve a stage. If you are excited about someone’s work and believe it deserves wider recognition, we recommend you contact them and ask them to submit a proposal.
Every proposal MUST be accompanied by:
- A two minute preview video where the proposer gives an elevator pitch about the talk.
- Detailed outline of the talk – either in the form of draft slides, mind map and/or textual description.
- If you are proposing to speak on a topic where the code is not open-sourced yet, the editorial panel will consider your proposal only if the code is made open-source at least three weeks before the conference.
Without the above information, your proposal will not be considered for review.
If you are submitting a Workshop Proposal, you must clearly state:
- Background knowledge that participants must possess in order to attend your workshop.
- Details and links to software / packages which participants must install before coming to the workshop.
- Laptop configuration.
- Links to background reading material and GitHub repos.
- Duration of the workshop.
- Maximum number of participants who can attend your workshop.
- Instructor’s past experience with conducting workshops.
There is only one speaker per session. Workshops can have more two or more instructors.
Entry is free for confirmed speakers.
If you are an outstation speaker, HasGeek will do its best to provide a grant that covers part of your travel and accommodation expenses in Bangalore, subject to budgetary constraints.
The 2018 edition is a multi-track event with the following session formats:
- Full length talks of 40 minutes
- Crisp talk of 15 minutes
- Workshops of 3-6 hours
- Off the Record sessions (OTR)
Deadline for submitting proposals: TBD
Conference date: 26-27 October, 2018
Meta Refresh will be held at the NIMHANS Convention Center, Bangalore
For more information about speaking proposals, tickets and sponsorships, write to [firstname.lastname@example.org](mail to:email@example.com) or call +9107676332020
Scaling CSS with ITCSS
Are you fighting with your own CSS? Have you always felt a need for an Architecture in your CSS files? ITCSS provides you an architecture to deal with the cascade & specificity for scaling CSS. In this talk, you will learn the seven layers of ITCSS, transforming the way you write your CSS files
Scaling CSS seems challenging but can be super easy with minimal efforts of setting up a right Architecture. ITCSS is an architecture based on seven layers from settings to trumps that is used to scale and maintain CSS Applications. The inverted triangle approach helps us to write highly maintainable code with minimum overwriting. This talk will focus on the layers of ITCSS using Motley, an Open source framework based on ITCSS.
In this talk, Aayush will share the challenges he has faced while writing CSS for his company and how he came over those challenges by designing Motley.
Knowledge of SCSS is an advantage.
Aayush is a Udacity certified Front-end Developer. He is a Front-end Engineer and Instructor at Coding Blocks and currently Mentors at Udacity for global nano degree programmes. He is an active member and contributor in Open Source Organisations such as NASA, FOSSASIA & CloudCV. He has a passion for sharing knowledge and has been featured as the first guest author on Google Codelabs this year. If you want to talk to him, you can anytime challenge him a chess match.
- Talks at FOSSASIA Summit 2018, Singapore
- Talks at FOSSASIA Summit 2017, Singapore