Application Energy Management: Catching Energy Glitches Before Your Next App Release
Power hungry apps cause significant user frustration and lost user engagement, yet the prevalent app development practice today remains energy oblivious. This talk will introduce a systematic approach to battery drain monitoring and optimization using Eagle, a comprehensive AEM (App Energy Management) solution that is integrated into existing app development CI workflow to perform automated energy drain testing of each and every app release and pinpoint energy hotspots in the app source code.
- Motivation: App energy glitches affect user engagement / mobile revenue
- Current practice is primitive: interviews with top app vendors
- The Eagle Tester: Automated app energy drain testing seamlessly integrated into the CI workflow
- Eagle Tester Design Challenges
- Eagle Tester Setup and Usage
- Case Studies - Success Stories
Be open minded to embrace disruptive technologies.
Anurag Awasthi is a founding member of Mobile Enerlytics, a silicon-valley startup that develops the industry’s first App Energy Management (AEM) solution to help app developers to diagnose and optimize energy drain of their apps. Anurag received B. Tech and M. Tech from Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, was award “Medal of Proficiency” for best academic performance in the Graduating batch of B.Tech/M.Tech dual degree Computer Science and Engineering, 2012. He has over 5 years of R&D experience with Microsoft Research Redmond, Pocket Gems Inc, and Twitter Inc.