Today's event starts at 4 PM We will start today’s in-person event at 4 PM - https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/designing-for-data-ownership/schedule/ more
Regulatory approaches towards data governance have made it an important part of business strategy. Now businesses are required to look at robust processes which enable reusing datasets while aligning contexts and good data ownership. The Data Mesh enterprise data platform architecture allows businesses to meet these goals while dealing with the operational challenges of domain driven large datasets.
As more organizations combine enterprise data with personal data to provide bespoke experiences for the consumers, it is also necessary to look at the evolution of the approaches when it comes to the management of the personal data of the individual. How are the attributes of privacy, control, security and transparency of use capable of being embedded into data exchange mechanisms? A more human-centric approach to management of personal data empowers the individual and it is necessary to consider this when reviewing the data economy approach.
These two topics are especially relevant in context of regulatory environment in India - through the draft Digital Personal Data Protection (DPDP) Bill as well as the additional approaches around data exchange to stimulate business opportunities in sectors like finance, education, health and others.
- Acquire an understanding of two important approaches towards data governance - MyData Operators and Data Mesh frameworks.
- Create strategic initiatives which are focused on data-centric risk management at organizations.
- Get an introduction to MyData Operators, and how it has been adopted by enterprises.
- IT architects
- Enterprise Data Architects
- Software Developers
- Researchers - privacy, ethics and rights
- Public Policy specialists
- Vanya Seth is Head of Technology and Principal Consultant at Thoughtworks India.
- Lal Chandran is co-founder and CTO at iGrant.io. iGrant.io is a consented personal data exchange platform that unlocks the value of personal data for both organisations and individuals
- George J Padayatti is head of DevOps at iGrant.io
This meetup is free to attend. RSVP to participate. Purchase a subscription to The Fifth Elephant’s community activities.
COVID protocols and masking policy for meetings held in-person: In keeping with COVID protocols, the following is applicable to all participants:
- Participants attending the meetups in person must keep their vaccination certificate handy. The venue may ask you to show your vaccination certificate as proof of being fully vaccinated.
- Wearing masks is optional.
Code of Conduct: Hasgeek’s Code of Conduct applies to all participants and speakers.
Contact information: For queries about the meetup, contact Hasgeek at email@example.com or call (91)7676332020.
Introduction to MyData Operators framework
Slides for this talk can be viewed here
Personal data is all over the place - IoT, energy, public services, health, insurance, retails, apps, etc. MyData Operators is a human-centric approach where the individual is in control of how and where their data is utilized. MyData Operators is based in the European Union, where the GDPR framework of data protection is enforceable. MyData Operators framework requires such as strong regulation - where it is not only enough for protection to be there, but the individual’s data usage is based on strong principles of privacy, while still being able to use the data.
MyData Operators is a non-profit organization, headquartered in Finland. The framework is based on the vision of a fair, sustainable, and prosperous digital society through a human-centric approach to personal data. MyData Operator framework envisions this shift in the operation of a strong digital society:
- Actionable rights.
- Open ecosystems
The Operators i.e., member organizations, are data intermediaries. Organizations manage the value chain of data in terms of collection, management and use of personal data. But integration of data from multiple sources is hard. But the future will have organizations offering specialized services for different parts of the data collection, management and use value chain. For such a future to manifest, there is need for common building blocks such as permission management, identity management, etc. MyData Operators - as an organization - has aggregated 41 operators from 17 different countries to develop standard practices for the operation of data intermediaries.
The core principles of the MyData Operators framework - which all the member organizations adhere to - are as follows:
- Human-centric control of personal data
- Individual as the point of integration
- Individual empowerment
- Portability: access and re-use
- Transparency and accountability
Using examples, Vice-chair of MyData Global - Antti ‘Jogi’ Poikola - explains the framework and implementation in practice.
In the next talk, Lal Chandran of iGrant.io explains how his organization functions as a Data Intermediary under the MyData Operators framework. This talk will give the audience a case study - with code samples - on understanding data management and use frameworks under data protection regulations.
- Understanding MyData Operators: https://mydata.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Understanding-Mydata-Operators-pages.pdf
- What is the MyData Operator? - https://mydata.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Discussion-paper-MyData-operator-final.pdf