A society is a group of people involved in persistent social interaction, or a large social grouping sharing the same geographical or social territory, typically subject to the same political authority and dominant cultural expectations. Societies are characterised by patterns of relationships (social relations) between individuals who share a distinctive culture and institutions; a given society may be described as the sum total of such relationships among its constituent members. In the social sciences, a larger society often evinces stratification or dominance patterns in subgroups
Social Media and Technology: How are these two affecting societal situations today, and how are we leveraging them to stimulate change in untapped areas.
Stories of Social impact: The rising tide of social entrepreneurship. Social impact projects at scale and at the grassroots.
Patterns of relationships between subgroups of society: How cultural expectations affect our approach to politics, civil sense, and how we go about daily life.
Introducing Effective Altruism- a recent social/ philosophical movement which focus on non-trivial application of rationality & evidence to maximize impact on the world.
Effective Altruism is a recent social/ philosophical movement which focus on non-trivial application of rationality & evidence to maximize impact on the world. Drawing from Peter Singer’s (& others’) utilitarian-ish ethics, the movement has become very influential- attracting speakers/ promoters such as Elon Musk, Jann Tallin, who’s who of AI, etc. The movement’s epicenters are Oxford & Silicon Valley.
Some of the currently most popular themes being discussed in EA include:
- Scale up proven health treatments in the developing world, for example anti-malaria bed net distribution
- Give cash to the world’s poorest people
- Opening borders to a larger number of migrants, especially those escaping poverty or persecution.
- Research the safe use of technologies that have the potential to do great amounts of good, or might do a lot of harm, such as artificial intelligence.
- Help animals in factory farms, for example by persuading people to be vegetarian, changing animal welfare regulation, or inventing meat substitutes.
- Reform the US criminal justice system to prevent crime more effectively while causing less unnecessary suffering.
- Reduce carbon emissions, or research geoengineering, in order to lower the risk of catastrophic climate change.
- Increasing support for effective altruism itself, in order to get more effective work on the areas listed above.
I’m a Data science professional- with stints in Humanities, Public policy, Precision agriculture, & Logistics. Used to run/ be activitely involved in freethought/ political philosophy/ futurism (meetups/ events in Bangalore). Co-authoring a book on policy, philosophical, ethical aspects of technology & entrepreneurship- sponsored by YourStory Media.
I’m parallely involved with few folks at Center for Effective Altruism (Oxford)- chiefly to work towards organizing an Effective Altruism global in India in recent future.
- centreforeffectivealtruism.org | eaglobal.org/videos | 80000hours.org
- fb.com/ankurpandey42 | LinkedIn.com/in/ankurpandey42