FOSS : What’s the Fuss About?
The workshop aims at introducing the audience to the world of FOSS and help them in picking up their first project no matter what their background has been in this domain as of now. The workshop will focus not only on developers, but also motivate the ones not into coding and development by introducing opportunities in design, documentation and outreach.
The speakers will discuss their involvement and experience in FOSS, its impact and help with step by step guidelines on how to start with one’s first project.
- Introduction to FOSS
1.1. What is FOSS?
1.2. Why FOSS?
1.3. Free vs Proprietary software
- Our experiences
- Steps to contribute
- Statistics displaying growth and involvement in FOSS
- An interactive hands-on session on an open-source technology - “Version Control using git”
- Career Opportunities in FOSS
- Questions and Answers/ Offline Discussion
Our program is open to anyone who:
1. Is interested in gaining knowledge about FOSS
2. Is willing to contribute to FOSS but needs some help to start
We are a team of two applying for this workshop. My other team member’s details:
Name: Ankita Shukla
Ankita is a Computer Science senior undergraduate and an active contributor to open source and has worked on a project “Collaborative Spelling Dictionary”, with the Wikimedia Foundation.
Nitika is a final year undergraduate pursuing bachelors in Computer Engineering and an enthusiast open source contributor.