- Joined Apr 2012
Rootconf is a community-funded platform for activities and discussions on the following topics:
- Site Reliability Engineering (SRE).
- Infrastructure costs, including Cloud Costs - and optimization.
- Security - including Cloud Security.
- Data privacy.
In 2023, Rootconf is transitioning to become a community-funded organization. Rootconf has introduced memberships whereby members’ contributions will fund the activities of the community.
Become a Member now to attend RootConf July 2023, SRE Nov 2023.
Rootconf was produced as a media brand by Hasgeek Media LLP in 2012. With the exception of 2013, Rootconf ran as an annual, peer reviewed conference, in Bangalore. In 2019 and 2020, Rootconf traveled to Pune, Hyderabad and Delhi.
- Rootconf 2012 - Nigel Babu
- Rootconf 2014 - Sreekandh Balakrishnan
- Rootconf 2015 - Pankaj Kaushal
- Rootconf 2016 - Pankaj Kaushal, Philipp Paeps
- Rootconf 2017 - Philipp Paeps, Saurabh Hirani, Adiya Patawari, Yagnik Khanna
- Rootconf 2018 - talks were peer reviewed by past speakers.
- Rootconf 2019 Bangalore, Pune and Hyderabad editions - talks were peer reviewed by past speakers.
- Rootconf 2020 Delhi edition - talks were peer reviewed by past speakers
During the pandemic, Rootconf moved to online activities, mainly meetups and conferences. In April 2021, Rootconf ran India’s first Data Privacy conference. This was followed by a conference on data breaches in July 2021 in response to the data breaches at prominent payment companies which signalled the need to spread awareness in the community on the triad of observability, network security monitoring and anomaly detection. In 2021, Rootconf also ran topical seminars on cloud costs optimization and data stores.
In 2022, Rootconf community engaged with CERT-IN by sending a submission on CERT-IN’s new regulations on storing logs and reporting incidents in connection with data leaks. CERT-IN responded to Rootconf’s submission by extending the compliance deadline for MSMEs by three months, thereby giving MSMEs a longer time window to become compliance ready.