10 practical techniques to overcome procrastination
Here are 10 practical techniques to overcome procrastination:
- The worst first - start with the most disdainful aspects of the task to get over the worst part of the task/goal.
- Use momentum by starting with the tasks you enjoy doing.
- Just five minutes of tolerating discomfort - this is like going on a run where the first five minutes are uncomfortable. But as you keep moving despite the discomfort, you start to feel more comfortable and better.
- Set time limits - don’t do the entire task all at once.
- Utilize your prime time or your best times in the day to complete difficult tasks.
- Prime place - choose the right place for the right task, a place that helps you avoid distractions.
- Remember - then do. As soon as you recall that something needs to be done, get it done right then.
- Use reminders - place visual prompts, post-it notes, etc before you to get into action.
- Visualize positive consequences of completing the task to motivate yourself.
- Focus - calm your mind.
- Bonus tip: plan rewards - guilt-free rewards and play time for completing uncomfortable tasks.