Rise of Node.js
Section: Default Technical level: Intermediate Session type: Lecture
The objective is to understand the popularity of node.js.
- Understand what exactly node.js is.
- High level overview of how to build something similar to node.js using V8, libio, libev
- Node.js internals
- Deep inside Event driven programming vs Thread based programming Vs Green Threads
- Pros & Cons of event driven programming
- Asynchronous IO vs Fake Asynchronous IO
- Understand poll, select, /dev/poll, kqueue, IO completion ports
- Why node.js is that popular?
- Comparing node.js with other similar solutions
- Various unique aspects of node.js
- Scaling for production environment
- How scaling web applications is different from scaling networking applications
- The multi-core story
- When to use fork/threads/workers
- Node.js community
- Adoption of node.js
- Choosing the right framework/modules
- Pros & Cons of using node.js
- Things to be considered before switching to node.js
- Future of node.js
Part of my role is to evaluate new relevant technologies and recently had to touch Node.js. I am here to share my learning.