FOSSMeet is the annual Free and Open source software meet at NIT Calicut. We are inviting proposals for talks and workshops at FOSSMeet 2016.
Through FOSSMeet, we intend to get the attendees, mostly students, get started with the development and usage of free software. You may propose to conduct a lecture, demo, tutorial, workshop, discussion or panel at FOSSMeet. If the contents of your session is the ‘I am feeling lucky’ result of some Google search, there is low probability that it’ll be accepted. Same applies to proposals titled ‘The absolute beginner introduction to X’ and others on a similar line. On the other hand, if your talk is on some obscure, albeit important, free software project that will go over most students head, this might not be the best platform to deliver that talk. There are always exceptions and we leave that to your judgement. If our audience wants it, we’ll try our best to accommodate it. Of course, if you find people interested in your proposal, you can always call a BoF. We are all for BoF’s! :)
Take the above with a pinch of salt. They are no s̶t̶r̶i̶c̶t̶ ̶r̶u̶l̶e̶s̶, only guidelines. All your proposals are welcome and we celebrate every single one that we receive! :D Looking forward to see you folks here.
Your audience (mostly) comprises of smart, above average, GNU/Linux aware students.
Call for proposals opens: Nov 19, 2015
Proposal submission deadline: D̶e̶c̶ ̶3̶0̶,̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶5̶ Jan 23, 2016
Proposal acceptance: J̶a̶n̶ ̶0̶7̶,̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶6̶ Jan 26, 2016
Presentation upload: J̶a̶n̶ ̶1̶4̶,̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶6̶ Feb 2, 2016
For more information about speaking and proposals, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building and deploying your Python-Django application
- Know about Model View Controller Frameworks
- Code and build your first Django application
- Understand how easy web development is, rather than raw coding the entire logic
- Make use of common libraries, OAuth, Haystack search ( if time permits )
- Deploying your Django appliaction via Redhat openshift
The workshop aims at showing how easy it is to build an application with Python-Django, rather than buidling applications the wrong way, without a framework. Effective use of the MVC framework can ease the life of a web-dev, and knowing a secure framework like DJango hikes productivity and market value.
- GNU/Linux installed machine
- git/python-django/other packages ( which can be installed later )
- Founder of www.thinkfoss.com, with web experience of 4+ years.
- Mediawiki Developer, maintains and have written multiple extensions, which are installed in production ( 750+ wikis, including en-wiki ). [ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:01tonythomas ] and have talked at their international Hackathons and Summits
- Coded the backend of www.thinkfoss.com and www.healthxplore.com in Python-django.