In a few months, India will pass the GDPR-equivalent law - the Personal Data Protection Bill (PDPB). Data science teams tend to be the most extensive users of data; their work impacts the users at much larger scale than the traditional analytics. This raises a number of questions:
- What should data scientists know about the PDPB law? What are the implications on data science?
- Does the law say anything about impact beyond privacy? What, if any, are the FAccT (Fairness, Accountability, Transparency) requirements under the current law?
- How does one cope with ambiguity and diversity in the privacy requirements across geographies?
- What kind of new processes and mechanisms should data scientists now plan for and build?
- What do you foresee coming down the line - algorithmic accountability, product liability?
This conversation is relevant for companies and practitioners building for compliance, including:
1. Vendor contracts
2. Local storage, including rules and processes that apply to third parties
3. Legal access to data by cloud providers
1. Privacy of Business Data - A Case Study from Tally Solutions [Editor Note: We will be doing a deep dive into this in the next session]
2. Ikigai Law. A simple primer on the PDP bill in the form of FAQs (here);
3. Ikigai Law. A high-level note highlighting key requirements with a rundown of action items (here);
4. Ikigai Law. A checklist for compliance under five heads -(i) understanding scope and preparing for the law; (ii) accountability; (iii) fair and lawful processing; (iv) data principals’ rights; and (v) transferring data outside India (here);
5. Ikigai Law. A piece on data inventories being the first step towards compliance (here)
6. Scribble Data. PDP Checklist (here)
Previous session: The previous session was held on 29 July. Summary of the session is available on https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/operationalizing-responsible-ml/
Participation is via Zoom. Link will be shared with registered participants. Or, you can watch the livestream on this page.
About Privacy Mode: Privacy Mode is an emerging umbrella for practitioners working on privacy engineering and privacy-tech. This session is sponsored by Privacy Tech and produced by The Fifth Elephant. Privacy Mode and The Fifth Elephant have collaborated to host a privacy engineering conference in January 2021 - https://hasgeek.com/fifthelephant/privacy-engineering-conference/
For further inquiries about this session, or The Fifth Elephant, contact 7676332020 or write to email@example.com