Building Data Products for Small / Mid-Sized Data
Understand the process I and Kevin Gates went through in building www.seeingtheair.com, a hackathon data product to compare Air Quality in various cities. Audience will have an appreciation for - Data Extraction, Exploration phase along with building an Web App and some intuition for Data Viz. I intend to show Python Code behind the app in this talk.
At a recent Data Viz. Hackathon, Data Canvas (map.datacanvas.org), we were asked to tell a story based on the sensors deployed at various cities (San Francisco, Geneva, Boston, Bangalore, Shanghai, Singapore). I along with Kevin Gates wanted to tell a story around Air Quality index and built www.seeingtheair.com.
We will talk about the process of building this data product:
- Identifying the story we want to tell through Data Exploration using IPython, Pandas and other Python Data Tools.
- Building an App that serves the data
- Some comparison on Data Viz. choices
I will be using lot of code (Python and some JS) snippets throughout the talk.
This talk is not about Big Data, but making sense of data that’s all around us.
I am a Software Engineer making applications for fun and profit. Over the last few years, I have done my own Startup for a couple of years building e-commerce apps for small businesses to automatically move the products in their online stores. I mostly use Python for my Web and data adventures.
- App: www.seeingtheair.com
- Data: map.datacanvas.com
- Winning Entries: http://www.swissnexsanfrancisco.org/media/latest-news/dataartchallengewinners/ (You will see our entry under the Maker Prize section)