CashlessConsumer runs a fortnightly series of deep dive sessions on the technology powering payments, policy implications and real-world practice of digital payments. A study circle is a collaborative classroom to learn in detail about a particular topic. Unlike a presentation/seminar, while there will be anchors presenting, the idea is to learn collaboratively like a classroom setup. We will be sharing reading materials to registered atendees who are encouraged to read it prior to joining the session. If you Do raise your hands anytime during the session if you have a question/comment.
DBT in India #
Direct Benefit Transfer or DBT is an attempt to change the mechanism of transferring subsidies launched by Government of India on 1 January 2013. This program aims to transfer subsidies directly to the people through their bank accounts. It is hoped that crediting subsidies into bank accounts will reduce leakages, delays, etc.
In this study circle, we try to dive deep into the world of G2C payments infrastructure in India operationalising the DBT regime. This includes looking at
- PFMS - Public Finance Management System’s DBT interface - Infrastructure powering management of source of DBT funds.
- APBS - Aadhaar Payments Bridge - The clearing house / routing switch for Aadhaar based DBT payments.
- AePS - Aadhaar Enabled Payments System - The last mile cash-in/cash-out delivery infrastructure delivering DBT payments to people.
This study circle will be focussed on looking into payments infrastructure running the operations. For a broader historical perspective from a policy context - do attend Kaarana’s Roots of Direct Benefit Transfer Program on July 22, 2020
Reading Materials #
- DBT Through PFMS
- Overview of Aadhaar and Payments
Note: A complete set of reading materials will be sent by email to attendees who register. The same will be published after the session
Who should participate: #
- Practitioners from fintech/govtech and digital payments, including engineers and product managers.
- Journalists who report on Fintech/Govtech and are looking for education on technology, operations and practices.
- Citizens recieving subsidies, DBT watchers, Universal Basic Income enthusiasts
- Anyone interested in knowing more about nitty gritties of G2C payments space, operations / experience, in India.
About CashlessConsumer: CashlessConsumer is a consumer collective working on digital payments to increase awareness, understand technology, produce / consume data, represent consumers in policy of digital payments ecosystem to voice consumer perspectives, concerns with a goal of moving towards a fair cashless society