Improving React App Performance : A Case Study
Submitted by Punit Sethi (@geekybiz) via Zainab Bawa (@zainabbawa) on Thursday, 18 July 2019
Duration: 40 mins full talk
This talk is about our experience of performance optimizing our React App. Objective of our exercise was to quantifiably improve our app’s performance in a few (4-6) weeks. This presentation details how we measured the gains and what React + Webpack changes we leveraged to achieve the gains.
Front-end devs wanting to improve their React SPA performance shall find this talk insightful. Key take-aways:
- what are the Webpack & React performance optimization options avaialable
- how to apply those optimizations
- how to make performance optimization exercise effective
Few tools I intend to talk about are Webpack Bundle Analyzer, Chrome Devtools, WebpageTest. Few optimization capabilities I shall disccuss are related to tree shaking, code splitting, dynamic library loading, babel-preset-env, vendor bundle webpack configuration, brotli, etc.
- How we measured our React App’s performance & improvement
- Performance metrics
- Test conditions
How we improved our React App’s performance
- Identified & removed unused libraries / part of libraries
- Code splitting with React’s lazy & suspense
- Identify & load specific libraries libraries dynamically
- Reduce babel transpiled code with babel-preset-env
Reduce download size with brotli-webpack-plugin
Details of Performance Improved
- Size of our JS Bundles
Punit Sethi is founder of Tezify. Tezify.com offers tools & services to measure & improve front-end performance. Punit has worked on improving performance of various high-traffic Indian ecommerce websites. Prior to Tezify, Punit has been working on software performance for a decade.