Freetamilebooks use of Pressbooks - Creating Indic language ebooks.
The freetamilebooks.com site makes hundreds of free ebooks available to readers in the Tamil language. About 15 volunteers compile Creative Commons-licensed writings by popular bloggers into ebook format using Pressbooks.com, then publish them on the freetamilebooks.com site. Started in 2013, freetamilebooks.com has released 300+ ebooks to date using pressbooks.com, a wordpress fork for ebook
- Motivation behind project.
- Technical challanges with Indic ebooks, how pressbooks solved them.
- Curating content with Creative commons.
- Reaching the audience, publishing options Android / iOS app, Google play books
- Building a volunteer community to scale, impact stories
T.Shrinivasan, has been promoting the Free/Open Source Software and Free Culture movements in Tamil for 10 years. He started an online magazine run by volunteers for Free Software in Tamil, Kaniyam (http://kaniyam.com). He is the former coordinator for the Indian Linux Users Group Chennai and the founder of community project http://FreeTamilEbooks.com, which publishes DRM-free ebooks in Tamil for all devices. You can follow him on Twitter at @tshrinivasan or contact him at email@example.com.