arrow_back Develop to Design - A guide to emergency design for front-end developers
Books + Browser + On/Offline = Reading Redefined
Submitted by Amarjeet Singh (@singh-amarjeet) on Thursday, 2 January 2014
Section: Full talk Technical level: Intermediate
Bringing Book Reading to a browser without compromising on native app reading experience - fast, free styling, secure and most importantly offline reading mode.
- How to Tackle "No wait time" to read online? Heard of ePub streaming? How to use PhantomJS to address some of the performance issues?
- How to stream epubs at scale without any loss in the continuity and yet secure?
- How to redefine TOC for a book?
- How to make sure the user reading experience is synced across browsers and devices?
- How to make sure every chunk of book we are streaming cannot be eavesdropped and cannot be used to reconstruct the whole book without valid order? How CryptoJS is being used to address this?
- How is the screen size driving the chunk size and why we came up with this configurable chunk size?
- How to make sure that look and feel of the book is as generated by publisher even on a browser?
- How to make sure user can read the book even when he is offline?
- How we used HTML5 offline cache,indexeddb,websql,OOJS,CSS3,nodeJS,websockets,PhantomJS,Streaming,Sync and other services to achieve all this.