Submit talks and workshops on:
- Full stack engineering
- Architecture approaches and case studies
- Web development
We will find a forum to place your talk, any time during the year.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 7676332020
Hybrid Apps from a Ember/Vue/React PWA
Technical level: Intermediate
This talk will cover taking an existing PWA and wrapping it as a native app - while adding custom mobile-only features (e.g. push). We’ll also touch on PWA performance, and what changes in a hybrid context.
For many the hybrid/cordova build process is complicated and frustrating - getting a successful build requires dependencies and configs that are not well documented, and never mind cloning to a new machine.
We’ll use the corber CLI, which integrates with your existing Ember/Vue/React PWA, adding a unified build pipeline for hybrid, on-device live reload, error checking, improved clone/plugins support and splash/icons. Most importantly, the CLI will not change your existing web only environment.
In general order, this talk will cover the points below in a case style format. We’ll start with a blank PWA project and slowly build it into an app shell, pausing along the way.
- Introduction to cordova, how does it work;
- Underline our goal is to not build something custom - but to wrap an existing PWA and add features;
- Code management (cloning, adding app only features);
- Setting up the build pipeline: initting corber inside your existing PWA, building, on-device live reload & splash/icons;
- Adding app-only plugins, such as filesystem and push notifications;
- Notes on performance - that apply equally to PWAs;
Alex Blom is the maintainer of corber and Managing Partner at Isle of Code. He is mostly focused on hybrid performance, often with Ember/Vue.