arrow_back Cross browser extensions - lets make one
Building Robust Web Applications With RxJS arrow_forward
Performance Metrics For Modern Apps
Submitted by Shubham Jindal (@skjindal93) on Monday, 5 March 2018
Technical level: Intermediate
It has become critically important to improve your performance of web apps. Users should have a good visual experience while loading a web app. Be it pre-loading important resources, or displaying cached resources, or rendering hero elements first, users should be able to interact with web apps as soon as possible
There are certain myths about web performance monitoring. Myths like My website loads in X seconds or Performance only matters at load time. But, the reality is poor performance can happen at any time, not just during load. Traditional performance metrics like DOMContentLoad and onLoad are highly inadequate.
With this talk, you can learn how to improve user experience and web performance in different scenarios using various performance metrics
Numerous performance metrics exist to improve user experience. This talk will focus on:
- Performance Metrics
- Why do we need performance metrics?
- Which metrics are important?
- What do these metrics mean?
- How to measure them?
- How to improve them?
- Performance Monitoring Tools
- Performance Monitoring Tools in market
- How to use them?
- Which metrics can be measured using them?
- Web APIs to look for
1. Measure performance of your website
2. Improve different pain points slowing down your website
3. Happy users, even in different scenarios(poor network, different geo locations, various browsers)
4. Performance monitoring tools
I have deep knowledge on working of SPA frameworks(Angular, React, Ember etc) and have a first hand experience in developing web apps using them. I remain updated with the latest web technologies in market and always curious to understand their usefulness, working and adaptation.