Offline in the browser- with IndexedDB, AppCache & LocalStorage
Submitted by Manan Bharara (@mananbharara) on Friday, 9 August 2013
Section: Crisp Talk Technical level: Intermediate
- Gain an understanding on how you can eliminate the network as one of the core requirements for your web app
- How you can reach a wider audience for your web application. People with intermittent network connectivity can then have seamless interaction with your application.
- Effective caching techniques to massively speed up browsing. (AppCache is not that big of a douche bag. Really!)
When we began my current project, we thought that a web app is fairly limited when it comes to making stuff available offline. Since then, it has been an year and we are now supporting offline completely for one of our core features.
On the way, we have often over-estimated the extent of offline support offered by browsers and we have under-estimated.
With this talk I plan on sharing my learnings from the project and cover the following:
1. The benefits and possibilities with storage in the browser.
2. The segregation of concerns offered by the various HTML5 APIs.
3. How Angular JS plays with HTML5 offline(Or how you can make it play)
4. Browser support- and how it varies(Aaaargh IE!!).