Learn Ember.JS to build a Practical E-Commerce Single Page Application
Submitted by Akash Devaraju (@skykog) on Sunday, 11 August 2013
Section: Full talk Technical level: Beginner
Understand the problem statement, use-case and the workflow in building an Ember application after getting an understanding of what is an MV* architecture.
Also to make one understand, why Ember does things in a certain way and how it's different from other frameworks like Angular, Backbone etc.
- Get a grasp of what is an MV* framework.
- Understand why to choose Ember as the framework.
- Learn the workflow in building an e-commerce application with Ember.
- Realize the benefits which come along with Ember.
In about 40 minutes, we are going to create a nifty E-Commerce application, exploring the power of Ember, Rails, CSS3 by following the best practices and concepts advocated by Ember. Come code with me and I can show you how fun programming with Ember can be.
Ember and Rails share a common approach and have common core members, it makes good sense to use them together and they make a great duo for building a rich web app and a JSON API (Though the same can be accomplished by using Node.JS/Python or any other backend stack).
Ember proves itself as a full-fledged framework and is quickly becoming the framework of choice for building large scale applications.
Opinionated is a good thing (Convention over configuration).
Since the goal is to compete with native apps and ideas pioneered by native application frameworks like Cocoa and Smalltalk have been borrowed Ember makes a good choice for mobile app development.
Simplicity, bindings, molecularity, tight integration with Handlebars (Reduced boilerplate between data and DOM).
Ease of Integration, A/B, Unit testing with Ember.
What we are going to do?
- Start with an explanation of the MV* frameworks, their comparison and requirement.
- Talk about Ember, its philosophies and "Why Ember?".
- Understand our E-Commerce project structure.
- Work with Ember and Rails and consume the JSON API and perform RESTful functions and view rendering.
- Perform few tests on the application.
- Understand Ember best practices.
Have an interest in learning MV* frameworks.
Developer at Icicle Technologies.
Passionate open source evangelist, loving the startup life, love to talk to people and collaborating on ideas and working hard to implement them.
Have conducted numerous workshops/talks at many user forums (Mukti, CloudCamp, CodeShack), member of many JS communities, Cloud communities, bdotNet etc.
openSUSE Ambassador (India Division).
Head of Codeshack (Tech/open source group).
Mozilla Campus Representative.