Are Vi gonna code?
(Neo)Vi(m) has to be the best text editor to have ever come in-built into any OS. But it’s not exactly loved, all because it’s different from others. What makes me love it then?
To say the least, the ease with which I can make changes to my source code, without having to open up a bloated piece of crappy(I also hate the licence on those) electron app(* Ahem * VS code * Ahem *), has opened up a vast expanse of productivity.
There are four main sections to this talk
- Brief intro to the magical world of modal editors
- How to install and use nvim like a BEAR
- How to use vim with no H^gs given. H^g you MS, and your bloated electron child 😠
- A brief intro to projects that are Making Modal Editors Cool Again.
- Laptop with Linux/Mac(Okay, bring your Windows PC even, but be warned 😒)
- NeoVim or any Vim that you like
- 500MB data pack, or your friend’s WiFi Hotspot(😛)
These are some not so necessary requirements, you can still take notes and DIY at home!
I am a second year CSE student at Model Engineering College, Kochi. I am an active admin at an online community for FOSS advocacy in Tech education (BEARly) and an ‘evangelist’ at FOSSMEC. I have a perpetually ON vi session, because I mapped the :q command to something else (I love it still ;p).