Virtual Reality Design Principles with Google Cardboard
Virtual Reality is the future of creating immensive and immersive experiences on Android. With devices such as Oculus, Samsung VR, Google Cardboard, we have all used or experienced VR and have had motion sickness or dizziness. This workshop will enable designers and developers to prevent motion sickness in their applications by following good VR design principles
Virtual Reality is the future. This workshop will be an open ended experience session, where in -
- Principles of good design will be explained and experienced in VR.
- Proper reasoning and psychological explanation will be provided for the coined design principles.
- Discussions and hands on with various VR apps will be listed along with what’s good/what’s not.
- Foundation and Immersion of Design for VR will be discussed.
- Android Developers/ Designers keen to develop apps/games in Virtual Reality, who want to know the essentials before development one must have in their application in order to follow good design principles and avoid motion sickness and other head spinning experiences in VR.
- Knowledgeable individuals in Computer Graphics/ VRML/ Mathematics and Physics specializing in Virtual Reality wanting to learn the design principles one should follow in VR.
A complete hands-on experience with explanation and reasoning on setting up the basic UI framework for designing a VR application/game before development.
Tips and tricks to avoid Motion Sickness and Eye-straining in your VR app/game.
Complete flow with reasoning for an immersive experience for your user, inclusive of onboarding, guiding, head-tracking, constant velocity and usage of a reticle.
Tips and Tricks, Do’s and Don’ts for your application inspired from various applications on the Play store.
- Must have developed at least one VR application/game on Android or other platform.
- Must have developed an Android application AND is keen to develop a VR Application/Game on Android
Must have appropriate knowledge in Computer Graphics/VRML/Physics/Mathematics about VR.
Must have a Google Cardboard compatible with an Android device with Android Lollipop or higher.
Must have Google Cardboard App installed: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.samples.apps.cardboarddemo&hl=en
Must have Google Cardboard Design Labs App installed:
Swapnil Borkar is a User Experience Designer and Android Developer, who likes to challenge popular patterns in Experience Design and improvise them with better, scalable solutions.
He has been active on StackOverflow/ StackExchange UX from September, 2015, and has a Reputation of 2,371 as on October, 2015. Top 2% this year.
Swapnil has been a core member of Google Developer Group - Mumbai and has been writing UX Reviews since February 2015, and has reviewed 9 applications since which include: Transitpedia, DocsApp, Binge and MatchUp Cricket, etc.
He is an Active Speaker who likes to engage the audience and has delivered various sessions on Android Navigation Anti-Patterns, Product Design, Color Psychology, Material Design, etc and has conducted Iconography with Material Design on Paper workshop twice with UXSpeak in August and September, with an overwhelming response.
He has been working at the forefront of communication at Haptik Inc since June 2014, providing a conversational, yet satisfying experience to Users across the country.
Swapnil likes to actively help Startups and has mentored Design Sprints at Google’s Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) App Contest in Mumbai and ECell’s HackEThon Design Sprint at IIT Bombay and likes to participate and contribute actively in communities and events happening around with the focus on Android and Design.
- VR Design Guidelines Slide: http://www.slideshare.net/SwapnilBorkar1/vr-design-guidelines
- Workshop Briefing: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19ZRn5qZLLA-G3R_bvwh4jzJcmbyJ4ha8BDS8AEgeXRI/edit?usp=sharing
- Session Listing by TechnoVanza, VJTI: https://www.facebook.com/technovanza/photos/a.159212454671.115821.136220994671/10153562869604672/?type=1
- Stack Exchange UX Profile: http://ux.stackexchange.com/users/68872/swapnil-borkar
- LinkedIn Slideshare Profile: www.slideshare.net/SwapnilBorkar1/