Writing plugins for Android Studio
This will be a hands on training session in which developers will :
- setup the dev environment for plugin development
- get an overview of plugin architecture, manifests etc.
- Write a plugin to publish android apps from IDE (Prototype to Production) and couple of more small plugins.
As developers these days follow agile processes and hence want automation of repititive tasks. This is an opportunity for them to leverage the power of IntelliJ IDEA SDK to build plugins for IntelliJ Idea and Android Studio in Java.
45 Minutes - Dev Environment Setup (This involves IntelliJ Installation, Cloning of IntelliJ IDEA Source, Setting up the SDK.)
15 Minutes - Discussion about Plugin Project structure and configuration files.
30 Minutes - Writing the first plugin: Hello World.
45 Minutes - Walkthrough a plugin to deploy android apk’s from within the IDE to the google play store.
30 Minutes - Writing a plugin to rename your Resources (Views, Strings, etc.) as per a given format.
15 Minutes - How to publish your plugins on the jetbrains platform.
Prerequisites - Intermediate Level Knowledge of Java, Git.
Knowledge Android SDK is not a prerequisite, however some experience will be helpful, because after the first plugin we’ll be taking up two use cases that would involve something related to android. I don’t see this as a hurdle for anyone, as we can easily give users the context about what problem we are solving with the plugin.
I am a passionate product enthusiast and self-taught developer who loves open source technologies, tech conferences, and hackathons.
I successfully graduated as a Google Summer of Code Intern in 2014 under Mifos and in 2015 under XMPP Standards Foundation.
Currently as an Android Engineer at Inshorts, I am helping to setup, streamline, and automate testing processes. In addition, I manage the source code for the Android Client Project at Mifos as an open source contributor.
- I have spoken at Global Mifos Summit in Sharjah, U.A.E (March, 2015) on “Mifos Android Client - Architecture, and how to leverage the app to develop features for your organisation (Mifos Partners).”
- I have given two talks (2014) at Jamia Milia Islamia and Jaypee Institute of Information Technology on “How to use open source android libraries to increase productivity while developing android apps.”
- I gave a Talk at Delhi Technological University (January, 2015) on “How to get into Google Summer of Code”